Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Quarantine Adopting another for grieving pig

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I haven't posted on here in a while. Two weeks ago my sweet pig Felix died from old age. My 6 year old Izzy is alone now.

I have decided to adopt a pair of two more pigs to bond Izzy with. They are coming from a reputable rescue and one pig has been with the rescue for two years, while the other has been there for 6 months. I went to pick them up tonight but unfortunately we discovered a suspicious bald spot on both of their bellies so they will be going to the vet on Monday. The foster home treats all the pigs that come in for mites with ivermectin monthly so it isn't mites.

I think it might be mild urine scald. The foster lady said she gave the pigs sleeping sacks which she normally doesn't do. I know they tend to get damp so I think urine scald is logical. Either way, they will be seen by a vet and I won't be adopting them until I know this is nothing serious.

I am torn on doing a quarantine. I have read that if a rescue is reputable then it is okay to skip the quarantine. My problem is I am leaving for vacation on May 3rd, so the longest I am able to quarantine is for a week which I know isn't sufficient.

I am not sure if I need to quarantine if the vet gives the all clear? Izzy is doing okay, but she isn't as happy as normal or as energetic. I know she needs some friends. I'm afraid if I leave her alone she is going to die of loneliness. I know that isn't realistic, but I'm terrified something is going to happen to her. Losing Felix was really hard on me, I don't want to lose Izzy too.

I'm really torn on what to do. Should I quarantine for a week just to be safe and bond them before vacation? I will be gone for almost two weeks and I don't want her to be alone while I am gone. My mom will be caring for them, but she won't cuddle her for hours on end like I do at the moment.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A week's quarantine is useless, and won't protect any of the pigs. I'd go ahead and introduce them.

Geranium

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry to hear about Felix. I lost my love a couple months ago and it was heartbreaking.

I'm guessing you've checked all other rescues for pigs? Even considered driving an hour or so to an available one? I don't blame you for not wanting to rescue until you know they're healthy. Posting pictures of the area in question might help. But also, you said they're going to the vet tomorrow, so if all is clear there then I think I would go ahead and introduce them. If you're uncomfortable with that you could consider putting them in a cage in the same room (I know, breaking a quarantine law) at least preventing direct contact and enabling Izzy to hear them and possibly feel less alone for the full quarantine period. Just throwing ideas out. Hope all is well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.