Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Hay Supplement?

TillyBunn802

Cavy Gazer
Hullo, So I'm out of hay for the evening and my local pet shop will be closed for the next two days. Will most likely drive a few towns over to grab some more, but was wondering if there was a specific diet consisting of only fresh food that would still keep my piggies happy and healthy for a few days. Mostly a curiosity thing though.
Thanks!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Corn husks are a good alternative. Remove all the dark green outside husks where most of the pesticides reside, and use the more tender light green inner husks. Cut/break them into long thin strips. Doubt that you will find fresh corn just yet, but it is o.k. to feed the silks as well.

As best as we can determine, corn husks don't have much nutrition, but the fiber will keep your cavy's digestive system moving .

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Fresh grass is also good for fiber content. It has been debated if it is good for their teeth like hay though. I know people on this forum are divided on that aspect.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't think people are divided on whether grass is good for fiber. It's like hay, some of it is better than others. You'd have to know what kind of grass you've got and look up information on the strands and fiber content. But in general, grass is good for the teeth.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.