Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

What size cage?

Hello! I have a two layer C&C cage, and each layer is 2x4 grids with a ramp connecting them. I currently have a neutered, single male in the cage, but I want to make a herd of him and some girls. He has been with guinea Pigs before, so I know he is okay with some. I was just wondering: will four piggies fit in my cage? In total the two layers an 2x8 cage, so isn't that big enough?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Re: What size cage?

Quote Originally Posted by BonBon View Post
    Hello! I have a two layer C&C cage, and each layer is 2x4 grids with a ramp connecting them. I currently have a neutered, single male in the cage, but I want to make a herd of him and some girls. He has been with guinea Pigs before, so I know he is okay with some. I was just wondering: will four piggies fit in my cage? In total the two layers an 2x8 cage, so isn't that big enough?
    Just a couple questions before I spout any advice;
    Is he going to be the only male with the females?
    Are you planning on breeding the piggies, or is the male at least neutered? Or the females spayed?
    How many piggies has he been in contact with before?
    Did he live with the other piggies or was he just around them for short periods of time?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Yes, he is neutered, and will be the only male with the females. He has lived with one other male for about three months, and I will be adopting these females so I will do a playdate to make sure they all get along.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BonBon View Post
    Yes, he is neutered, and will be the only male with the females. He has lived with one other male for about three months, and I will be adopting these females so I will do a playdate to make sure they all get along.
    Alright; so my recommendation would be to just try 2 female piggies, as I don't think your cage would be quite big enough for 4 piggies. I've had first hand experience with trying to get more than 2 piggies to get along in the same cage and things went well for a while, but as things are now, we've had to completely isolate one of our piggies because the close quarters prompted an attitude change and he doesn't get along with any of our other piggies now.

My only other advice would be to research bonding techniques and make sure your females get along with each other as well as get along with your male, girls can be just as territorial at times.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2120 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4101 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,537 Rec'd/6,023 Posts

If you can make it a one-level cage, you could put that many pigs in it, but with levels, the ramps are just an invitation to squabble.

A playdate isn't an introduction, and guinea pigs shouldn't be introduced multiple times before being allowed to live together. Here's the bible on introductions: http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

6. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

What about if I have multiple ramps? Theoretically there could just be two pigs on each two by four grid level, so wouldn't that work? Sorry for asking so many questions, I just want to do what's best for them.

User Tag List