Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia How helpful is diatomaceous earth for GP's?

chunkiimunkii

Cavy Slave
I was wondering if anyone knows how effective diatomaceous earth is.
I know when eaten it helps with parasites internally.
When rubbed into the coat it helps with parasites externally.
Does it help if there are eggs laid in the skin e.g. mites?

Does anyone know?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's also carcinogenic if inhaled, and no way on earth would I put it on my guinea pig.

What makes you think your pig has parasites?

I wouldn't think it would help with mites, anyway, as they're microscopic and burrow under the skin.

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Get some Revolution for kittens and puppies. Do a google search and hit the 'Shopping' tab. You can find three packs for about $30 or buy in bulk cheaply.
Revolution is safe for small animals and will protect them from external parasites.
How are you housing your guinea pigs?

chunkiimunkii

Cavy Slave
Get some Revolution for kittens and puppies. Do a google search and hit the 'Shopping' tab. You can find three packs for about $30 or buy in bulk cheaply.
Where do you buy in bulk?

chunkiimunkii

Cavy Slave
I feed my pig DE already, i just grate carrot add some water and mix it so the DE becomes wet.
I just don't know how effective it is when it comes to parasites laying eggs.
I have noticed my pig scratching lately so i am being cautious there isn't any hair loss yet and it loves to eat hence it's chubby bum lol

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Just did a quick search. A few Ebay posters for 15 packs for $133-$149.95 and vetsupply have it for $143.
I have 2 gpigs and 3 rabbits that I do over once a month each so I only buy the big packs.

chunkiimunkii

Cavy Slave
Do you use the whole tube on each one or just a drop behind each ear?
Is there a shampoo i should use in time when it stops scratching?

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
One tube per animal. Back of the neck is ideal. I try to avoid washing guinea pigs (and never wash rabbits). The only pig I'm washing at the moment is Winifred and only because she is 7yrs+ and can't maintain a clean underside. Prior to that I only washed her maybe once a year and only if required. The vet has recommended Aloveen pet shampoo but I have used previously shampoos from Gorgeous Guineas (ordered online from the UK) that were really good. I just get the sample sizes because as above, prior to this stage of life for Win, I only wash when absolutely necessary.

If you do give them a wash:
* Make sure where you are bathing them is suitable. Where possible use a tub on the bathroom floor. Some guinea pigs just about fly out of the water because it is scary. Have someone help you if possible. It can be a challenge to keep a wet, slippery, terrified pig safe from injury.
* Take care with the water depth and temp. Test with you elbow and make sure they can stand up easily.
* Avoid getting their face, ears, eyes wet. Wash neck down only.
* Rinse carefully. Again, be careful of water temp.
* Dry quickly. Microfibre towels are wonderful. Not all guinea pigs will tolerate a hair dryer. When using a hair dryer keep your hand on the pig to check temperature. I find I have to hold the dryer nearly arms length away to avoid it getting too hot on their fragile skin.
* Minimise stress before, during, afterwards. Some pigs really don't like a bath and become very stressed which is why I avoid it. Make sure after drying them thoroughly, you keep the temperature stable in their room. Nice and quiet, easy access to food and water.

I strongly recommend to have a vet look them over and help narrow down on the cause of the itching though. The will be able to tell you precisely what is going on.
If you're a Sydneysider, SERV are excellent. They will test the hair during the appointment and let you know if parasites are present.

chunkiimunkii

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the info. I would love to take my pig to SERV but it's far and a hassle as i'm in Sydneys West.
Is this spray link attached below, safe for guinea pigs or is it best just to use this on their bedding?
i don't know how effective this spray is when it comes to the eggs in the skin.
(broken link removed)

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
I really wouldn't bother with the spray at all. How are you housing them?

chunkiimunkii

Cavy Slave
They have an outdoor pen which i move around the yard so they can eat the grass etc.
They come inside when the weather isn't nice outside.
The spray isn't effective at all even for prevention?

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
It will be more effective (and cost effective) to treat them with Revolution and give the cage a thorough clean. See here: (broken link removed)
You can make an effective cleaning spray with 1 cup water and 1 cup white vinegar. The Revolution will help to treat any existing problems as well as prevent any future issues.

There are plenty of products at Pet Barn and Pet Stock for guinea pigs which ultimately serve no purpose/are harmful. This spray is one of them. There are more effective, cost effective and more natural ways of doing most things for your pigs. Ignore that range of cleaning products, the salt/mineral licks, the treats, wheels or hamster balls, leashes etc as they aren't good for your guinea pigs. Instead have a look at good quality hays, fresh veggies and cardboard for toys/hides. Revolution and visiting decent vets are the two things I invest in.

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Agree with [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]
Revolution is selamectin (related to ivermectin however ivermectin needs to be injected) which you apply externally to the back of the neck, bit lower than between the ears. As bpatters said above, guinea pigs lick themselves to groom so be careful when you apply it and offer a distraction afterwards. Veggies work well!
Make sure you get the pink packet for puppies and kittens. Just looked and Pet Barn have an online only offer for $35 for a three pack.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I would not use the spray, pyrethrins are dangerous if consumed (which is guaranteed to happen with small animals due to their grooming and eating habits).

You are much better off using either revolution or ivermectin. Here in Australia both revolution and Ivermectin are available for purchase at most pet stores and feed stores.

If you wish to purchase a small bottle of ivermectin look for Vetafarm Avimec ( https://www.petbarn.com.au/vetafarm-avimec-budgie-topical-liquid-50ml ), it is a product marketed to treating budgies for scaly face mites but is just a 1% ivermectin solution so it is perfectly safe to use on a guinea pig when dosed correctly. Here is the correct dosing chart for how much 1% ivermectin to use on a guinea pig, https://www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin.html

To dose the ivermectin simply weight the guinea pig, look at the chart to figure out how much ivermectin to use (rounding the guinea pigs weight to the nearest 100 grams is fine), then get a 1mL syringe (with no needle - ask at a human pharmacy for one, if you let them know it is for your pet they should give/sell you one) and put the required amount on the bald spot behind their ears, do this once a week for three weeks.

Revolution is slightly more expensive, but only requires one dose and doesn't require you to measure it out or get a syringe.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Sorry I just realised I made an error. The Vetafarm Avimec solution is a 0.1% solution (1mg/mL) not a 1% solution (10mg/mL)

So to dose a guinea pig with the Avimec you would put 0.5mL per 1kg of body weight, so if you look at that chart I linked earlier you would need to times the dosage by 10 (or shift it over 1 decimal place) to get the correct dosage. For example a 340 gram guinea pig would get a 0.17mL dosage, and a 1500 gram guinea pig would get a 0.75mL dosage. You don't need to be 100% accurate when dosing as there is a good margin for error with such a weak concentration.

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Another excellent recommendation for you, [MENTION=39522]chunkiimunkii[/MENTION]!
Thank you, [MENTION=24757]Soecara[/MENTION]

chunkiimunkii

Cavy Slave
@Soecara and [MENTION=15002]grace&piggies[/MENTION] thank you both. I have ordered the revolution and will wait for it to come.
Shame these stores sell harmful products when they should be pet lovers.

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
It sucks. There is so much misinformation in Aus for smaller pets.
Let us know if you need any help

chunkiimunkii

Cavy Slave
There is a lot of misinformation for a lot of things in this country but at least there is a platform for people to interact and learn.
Thank you for the help if anything i will be in touch :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.