Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia How helpful is diatomaceous earth for GP's?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
[MENTION=15002]grace&piggies[/MENTION], just FYI, ivermectin can also be given orally or topically. It doesn't have to be injected, even the injectable kind.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
One tube per animal. Back of the neck is ideal.

Do not just put a whole tube of revolution on a guinea pig. You need to know the concentration of the Revolution you purchased as it comes in several different strengths.
Depending on the species and weight range you purchased, 1 tube could be a massive overdose for a guinea pig.

I also prefer to administer it to the bare skin behind the ears. It absorbs and dries quickly back there without any getting on the fur. Parting the hair and applying to the skin on the neck can get it all over the hair, which will increase their chances of ingesting it and then you have to watch them very carefully until it dries.

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Do not just put a whole tube of revolution on a guinea pig. You need to know the concentration of the Revolution you purchased as it comes in several different strengths.
Depending on the species and weight range you purchased, 1 tube could be a massive overdose for a guinea pig./QUOTE]

Absolutely valid point, Revolution do make a range of products that would be inappropriate to be used this way. However the Revolution product I've recommended is appropriate to be used this way. Revolution (pink) for puppies and kittens is suitable to be used in full one tube per animal on guinea pigs.

chunkiimunkii

Cavy Slave
I have ordered the revolution for kittens and puppies :)
When applied to the neck will it still have the effect if the issue is near it's rear end?
I was thinking off massaging some coconut oil there as the skin is a bit dry too.

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Yes. With either treatment option (ivermectin to back of ears, revolution to the neck) it will affect all areas.

chunkiimunkii

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.