Thread: Washing fleece - cold water or 30C water?

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Washing fleece - cold water or 30C water?

So. To wash my UHaul fleece liners, do you recommend 30C gentle cycle, or cold gentle cycle? I see some recommending cold wash, but not sure why? Does it get clean enough with cold water? How to make the fleece last the longest?

Thanks guys.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,255 Rec'd/5,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    2033 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3823 Post(s)

Re: Washing fleece - cold water or 30C water?

The fleece is nearly indestructible, and will last for years. Wash it in the hottest water possible, with strong detergent and bleach.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,566 Rec'd/1,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    600 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1154 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    The fleece is nearly indestructible, and will last for years. Wash it in the hottest water possible, with strong detergent and bleach.
    Agreed that the fleece is nearly indestructible, but the uHaul pad is NOT......assuming one is using sewn liners with a uHaul pad middle. The bleach will cause the pad to eventually disintegrate sooner than the fleece. IF you wash each time with bleach, even the fleece will wear out sooner.

Having said that, my liners are at least five years old so I have had good use of them. I recommend that you don't wash in bleach every time they are laundered. I recommend washing them in a HE unscented detergent and All Oxyclean as a regular routine, and about every 2-3 washes, use bleach. I wash in warm to hot water and dry on medium heat.

Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I used hottest setting and longest setting. The liners need to be with the detergent for a minimum of 15 minutes for the detergent to bond to stains.

I never use bleach on my liners but what I will do is let them soak overnight before washing when it gets particularly dirty or smelly.

I ALWAYS use vinegar in the rinse cycle to totally rinse out all residual detergent so it doesn't build up over time and cause problems.

5. "Thank you, equinox96, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,566 Rec'd/1,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    600 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1154 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by equinox96 View Post
    I ALWAYS use vinegar in the rinse cycle to totally rinse out all residual detergent so it doesn't build up over time and cause problems.
    I agree that vinegar in the rinse cycle is a good thing. The problem for me is that I get busy with other things often forget or don't time it right.

Thanks
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/25 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

If I can add on a question...how often is appropriate to wash fleece?

I clean up poops daily and freshen up the hay and check for wet wood pellet spots about twice/week (it's easy because he pees in the corners all the time). With one pig I feel like washing fleece once/week is appropriate and it fits well with our schedule.

We're working with a local GP rescue and hope to add a new pig soon. Will it still be ok to wash fleece once/week? It is "wicking" away the wetness to the wood pellets effectively, so does that mean it's ok to go a week between washings even with two pigs?

lastly - I've been doing a one day pre-soak in vinegar and water before washing regularly and my fleece is coming out nice and clean!

Thanks
    Thanks
    692 Rec'd/598 Posts
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    369 Post(s)

@BeckieL, I know that many of the pig owners here change their cages once weekly, so I'm sure that the way you have been doing it will be fine with 2 pigs. If you use piggie pads in some areas of the cage you can probably just change them out every few days in between your complete cage cleanings.

Since I'm at home most of the day I do change out my cages every other day. I'm sure that is overkill but it just makes me feel better. I certainly know that would not be practical for many people who have busy jobs or children to care for.

Best of luck with your search for a new friend to join your piggy family. You will be so surprised when you see how happy your pig will be once he has a friend. Their personalities just come to life.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Also, related to washing fleece:

A) How do you get all the hay off the fleece before washing it?

B) What kind of hay rack solution works best to keep the most hay off the fleece?

Thanks
    Thanks
    51 Rec'd/47 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

I sweep up the hay, droppings, discarded food etc and then I vacuum it with the upholstery brush attachment. This helps to remove as much fur as possible.
    I always was on at least 60C if not 95C on the cotton cycle, adding in a prewash and soak. I usually use laundry detergent (I use an eco friendly option) but I will switch to some bicarb soda if it's particularly grubby.
    How often? At least once a week, though more often depending on if the weather has been super hot/super damp, if they've had loads of wet veggies etc. I have a 7yr+ beauty and if I hear her snuffle it immediately gets switched. Highly recommend having a spare bed so you can just change it as necessary.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Why unscented?

Thanks
    Thanks
    692 Rec'd/598 Posts
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    369 Post(s)

The reason for unscented detergent is because the fragrances in regular detergent may be harmful to their delicate respiratory systems. Their little noses are constantly breathing whatever fragrances are in the detergent since they are on the fleece 24 hours a day.

User Tag List