Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Buying a Guinea Pig from Pet Store vs. Shelter

sarahnoelle99

Cavy Gazer
Hi!
I have one guinea pig whom I bought from Pet Supermarket and I am looking to get another one. When i got my first one I had no idea what the dangers of buying from pet stores were. Well when I got Charlotte she ended up having a URI that no one knew about. Luckily I figured it out and got her to the vet and contacted Pet Supermarket who then paid for her vet bill including her prescription. I got lucky. For my next one I was considering looking for a rescue or shelter but the closest one to me is 4 hours away. I even checked on all of those pet finder sites and the closest one is an hour and a half away. It's looking like a pet store is my only option but if anyone knows any other ideas I am willing. Thank you so much!

Also I am not sure if i should try and get a baby female to pair or one closer to her age. Charlotte is just under a year old.

elewis618

Cavy Slave
Do you have craigslist or kijiji in your area? That's always better than another pet store piggie. I don't think ages matter much in females. From what I understand, it's basically just when the males go through adolescence that it's a problem.

Also, keep in mind that each guinea pig has a distinct personality, so make sure you arrange with the people you adopt your new pig from that they don't get along, you can return her.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

sarahnoelle99

Cavy Gazer
Do you have craigslist or kijiji in your area? That's always better than another pet store piggie. I don't think ages matter much in females. From what I understand, it's basically just when the males go through adolescence that it's a problem.

Also, keep in mind that each guinea pig has a distinct personality, so make sure you arrange with the people you adopt your new pig from that they don't get along, you can return her.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I do have Craigslist but people in my city are sketchy so it makes me nervous but I will definitely take a look.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
An hour and a half is really not that far. There are members here who have gone 2, even 3 hours away to adopt their pig. It's worth it in order to avoid supporting breeding mills.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Five hours, here. I got my first three from Texas Guinea Pig Rustlers, and they're more than 300 miles from me.

Lady_Magoo

Cavy Slave
The 3 bonded pair I have did come from PetValu, BUT I know the manager personally, and he brought them back from a rescue up north that had so much overcrowding taking place.

The 3 girls are literally the BEST piggies I have ever been around. At one point in time, all three were loved and well cared for. The only issues I have found is they did not trim the toenails (the original owners, because they have curled). Thankfully, this has not effected their feet, and we are slowly trimming them back little by little so that they grow correctly from this point forward.

If you have facebook, check there as well. I know my local Ohio people have facebook "buy, sell, trades" and also "lost, stolen, found" animal pages. It was on one of these sites we got Mateo, who was loved by a young girl who's mother said he had to go. He was a "freebe" that we feared would get into the hands of a snake handler.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.