Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction Impaction, or just a poop in progress? Also Vitamin C question.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
I think that Domino may have impaction. He has had smaller poops, so I took him to the vet and she said she didn't think it was impaction. But I feel a little bump and GuineaLynx said that if you feel a hard spot where the genitals are, it's probably impaction. But when I try to slowly and gently push it out, it just looks like a regular poop that Domino hasn't pooped out yet. So was my vet right? I just want to make sure.

Also, she suggested I syringe feed him some vitamin C because she thinks he is not getting enough. Would you recommend slowly introducing it to him like you would with a veggie? Or should I just give him a full dose? It's Dynamic Health Liquid Vitamin C.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Impaction will look like...well...a poo ball. Impaction is more than just a "poop in progress". The poo pellets are compacted together into a ball which becomes too large for the pig to expel on its own. This is usually seen in older pigs (about 4 years +) or in pigs with poor diets.

As for vitamin C, the easiest way to boost vitamin C levels is to increase the amount of vitamin C rich foods in the diet. Bell pepper is a great source of vitamin C.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If what you're seeing is just a regular poop, he is definitely NOT impacted.

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
As someone else mentioned, it is great to provide your guinea pigs with Vitamin C from veggies. That way, they got lots of other nutrients too. I could be mistaken, but I believe that Oxbow "Natural Science" Vitamin C supplements are preferred compared with "liquid" Vitamin C. If nothing else, it's another option, if for example, you don't have time to syringe feed your piggie. You said your guinea pig has smaller poops. Are they pointy or misshapen or mushy? Any other symptoms? I agree that it doesn't sound like "impaction". I had an older guinea pig who struggled to push out his poop. I had to use a q-tip to clean out his anal area. Smelly and yucky! Hope your guinea pig is doing better! :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's no reason to prefer the Oxbow supplements to liquid vitamin C. Whichever your pig will take and is most convenient for you is just fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.