Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips Where do you get your pellets off season?

SharkStars

Cavy Slave
I've been getting hardwood pellets all winter from homedepot but don't have anywhere to store extra and they stopped carrying for the season, there's no tractor supply within reasonable distance.
I'm thinking I'll have to switch to uhaul liners for the summer :confused:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I buy enough to last a year, and store them in the garage.

Novabean

Cavy Slave
I get mine at Fleet Farm n they said they carry them all ur but I live in Wisconsin so it may vary by location

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
Why is summer off season for pellets? I thought they were primarly sold for smokers...isn't summer prime grilling out and smoking season?

Also, I found wood pellets at Wal Mart. 19.99 for a $40 bag.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They're primarily sold for pellet stoves, not for smokers. Smokers use charcoal and hickory/mesquite/cherry/whatever chunks of wood for the smoking, although I guess it's possible someone could sell pellets for smokers.

Is that $19.99 for a 40 pound bag? What kind of pellets? If so, that's three times as expensive as what I pay at my local feed store for horse stall bedding.

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
WOW! guess I need to check out other sources for pellets then. This wal mart price was better than Home Depot or Lowes had.

Here's the link to the wal mart pellets I bought (we just set our cage up for the first time 1 week ago). It says it's all hardwood and for food, so I assumed it had to be safe. So you find pellets cheaper? Are they non-food grade pellets then? I may have to find a feed store and do some price shopping!

Novabean

Cavy Slave
Fleet farm, $5 for 40# bag

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Those from Walmart aren't what you want. You don't need food-grade pellets at all, just something with no pine odor and no accelerants added.

I use TerrAmigo horse stall bedding, about $6.50 per 40 pound bag, and get it at a local feed store.

Novabean

Cavy Slave
Those from Walmart aren't what you want. You don't need food-grade pellets at all, just something with no pine odor and no accelerants added.

I use TerrAmigo horse stall bedding, about $6.50 per 40 pound bag, and get it at a local feed store.
That makes sense, food grade, I was wondering why the bags would be so expensive. Yes look around you can get the correct ones SO much cheaper!

miniver

Cavy Slave
Just because they are not on display at the hardware store doesn't mean they don't have them stored in the back. If I need pellets in the summer, I ask at the customer services desk. They always bring me a couple of bags out from the back.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.