Thread: Help For Guinea Pigs With Bladder Stones! Medication to Control Stones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Smile Help For Guinea Pigs With Bladder Stones! Medication to Control Stones

Hi everyone,
    Over the past few months one of my guinea pig, Buddy, has been having problems with bladder stones. I had it surgically removed the first time however within weeks it was back already. I couldn't keep giving him surgery (it'd be bad for him and its expensive) so my vet prescribed him some medication to possibly help slow down the growth of the stone and pain meds to "make him comfortable". I was sure I didn't have much longer with him when one night he was in an incredible amount of pain but then all his bladder stone symptoms disappeared. I had another X-ray done and Buddy had passed his stone! The medicine shrank it allowing it to be small enough to pass. I want to suggest this medicine to everyone who's dealing with this issue because it literally was the difference between life and death for my guinea pig. It is Potassium Citrate, Buddy uses a 100MG/ML solution and gets 0.2ML a day to keep his stones small. I have to order it from a compounding pharmacy but it does not cost me more than about $20 a month. Just wanted to share this with anyone who's dealing with a guinea pig with bladder stones because my vet had told me its basically impossible for a guinea pig to pass a big bladder stone but I can personally say this medicine can help with the passing of stones!

Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4070 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,512 Rec'd/6,002 Posts

Re: Help For Guinea Pigs With Bladder Stones! Medication to Control Stones

I'm glad Buddy passed his stone, but potassium citrate is not a cure-all for stones. I've known of many pigs with stones who have taken it and gotten no relief at all.

Urinary tract stones in guinea pigs are not well understood, and there's a strong genetic component to them. Some pigs will have them no matter how little calcium is in the diet, others will never have them no matter how much calcium is in the diet. That individuality of stones in pigs makes it impossible to say that a medicine will or will not help them, and it's generally best to avoid recommending that something definitely will help when it may not.

User Tag List