Thread: Fatty Eye Tissue - When to see vet?

Thanks
    Thanks
    64 Rec'd/56 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

Fatty Eye Tissue - When to see vet?

Hi everyone! My piggy, Nim, has had fatty eye tissue under one of her eyeballs for about a year and it hasn't caused her any issues. Recently, she started getting fatty tissue also coming down from the top of that eye as well. It still doesn't seem to bother her at all but should I see a vet about this? Or is it fine since it doesn't agitate her?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6245.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	82016

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,333 Rec'd/5,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    2051 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3927 Post(s)

Re: Fatty Eye Tissue - When to see vet?

I doubt it's a problem. Take a look here: http://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    608 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

Re: Fatty Eye Tissue - When to see vet?

If you have followed the link that @bpatters provided, you will know that the condition is called "pea eye".

My Maya was a show piggie when I adopted her (at a show) because pea eye disqualifies a cavy from being shown, and since the condition is genetic, she couldn't be bred. The condition is self-limiting, meaning that it will progress to a certain point and then stop. It is NOT recommended to laser the growth despite what you see on GL.

Maya had bilateral pea-eye, worse on the left side. It did affect her peripheral vision, and she involuntarily flinched and nipped at anything that approached her from the rear that she couldn't see well. No problem if we or her cagemate approached from the front where she could see us.

Just as we humans are often not perfect, so is Nim. I suspect that the condition won't bother her and that she will have a long and happy life with you!

Name:  Pea eye.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  52.6 KB

4. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List