Thread: MANGE MITES OR FUNGAS? Please help!

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

MANGE MITES OR FUNGAS? Please help!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site so I hope I'm positing this right, my story is going to be long but please read it I'm so desperate for help at this point.

Two months ago I rescued 2 Female girls who were living in a hutch with 6 other pigs outside pretty much living in their own poop, had grocery store brand food and NO hay. They lived off low brand pellets, cucumber, and treat sticks. The women had over 20 pigs and couldn't handle them anymore. I quickly rescued two sisters and took them home, got them cleaned up, proper cage, hay, veggies, and nice comfy fleece. Later that night I noticed one of them itching a lot so I moved them into my room to keep an eye on them. I was woken in the middle of the night to one of them having a seizure turned on her back mouth open tongue out and gasping for air. I quickly picked her up and her seizure stopped but freaked out and took her to the closest 24/7 overnight vet. On the way there every single time she would scratch she would have a seizure. The vet took one look at her and said she has mange mites, told me Revolution for Cats and Dogs would fix it and she should be better within a month. $350 later we were on our way home with Revolution.

We treated her and her sister, 2 drops behind the ears every week for 4 weeks. Her sister had very dry flaky itchy skin and it cleared up after one treatment of Revolution. The girl who had it the worse, who was having seizures was still itchy.. even more itchy. She was having a seizure every 10 mins so I took her to a Exotic vet this time. He said he doesn't see many Guinea Pig's with mange but it for sure is Mange Mites. He said I can't do revolution again since it would overdose her and sent me home with a cream called "Neocort" it has Lignocaine, Neomycin, Hydrocortisone in it. I have looked everywhere and have not found a post about treating guinea pigs with this but I used it. We would apply the cream wrap her in medical bandage and then put her little guinea pig sweater on her (normally don't agree with clothes for guinea pigs but it stops her from itching and she can't pull it off)

It's been another month now, she has been wrapped up 24/7 for this whole month (yes we change the bandages often) and when she has her bandages on she is fine, she does try to itch but cannot because of the bandages. She seems to be doing better until the bandages come off.. her skin looks so extremely flakey and dry. Black dandruff just falls everywhere, you can't even touch her without having so much shaded hair all over your hair. The second she realizes her bandages are off she won't stop itching. Her fur did grow back but its so corse and dry, I had her bandages off for 5 mins today to change them and she managed to rip her fur out and get an open wound again. Her right side, under her chin, her legs are her problem areas.

Someone in a guinea pig group I'm in told me to call the exotic vet back and ask for Ivermectin injections. They told me they don't inject ivermectin for guinea pigs they only use Revolution. (Maybe Ivermectin is hard to get in Australia?) I honestly don't know what to do anymore. We've spent so much money rescuing them, vet visits and medication cost. We're in the middle of moving houses and are so tight on money. It's breaking my heart to see her in pain like this. I just want her to be able to roam free without bandages holding her back. Has anyone dealt with this? I'm in a guinea pig group on Facebook and so many people have experienced mites and had it clear within a few weeks. I don't know what more I can do, can I do revolution again? Other than her mange mites she eats a lot, she drinks, she poo's normal, she is a bit less active because I'm sure her bandages are weird and annoying to her.

I ended up digging deep on the internet and now I'm confused that maybe its fungus AND mites. Should I start her on a fungus cream? And any type of shampoo is not an option, water on her skin sends her into a seizure and I don't want to risk putting her in pain like that anymore. Today I woke up and she had a bald patch under her chin from pulling her fur out. I found a guinea pig refuge in my area that will treat her with ivermectin on April 1st for me. I feel so lost because I have tried everything and whenever I ask people just say "take her to the vets" and I have... multiple times. Every vet says something different. I feel like the vet has drained us of our money and we still have gotten nowhere ! I feel so bad for my little girl.

Please any advice helps at this point, we've tried everything and I hate seeing her in pain like this.

Thank you for taking the time to read all of this!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,157 Rec'd/5,695 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3725 Post(s)

Re: MANGE MITES OR FUNGAS? Please help!

I'm not going to retype my GL answers to you, but for the benefit of others who may be reading, I'd treat for the fungus.

User Tag List