Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Is this size okay???

Hey everyone, so I'm not a guinea pig owner yet and probably won't be for a while as I still have a bit of convincing to do... But I have been thinking about the cage I'd like to build when I do get them and am a little worried it won't be good enough.
    I plan on adopting a pair from a nearby animal shelter once everything's in place and want to give them the best life possible. Everywhere I've looked says a space of at least 2' x 5' for a pair and that's where my problem is. The ideal dimension for a cage in the space I have would be 18" x 3' (but the 18" can be made a full 2 foot with a bit of fiddling) and then I was thinking of making it a two or three story cage for more space. Does this sound good? I couldn't find much on multi-level cages for guinea pigs so I'm starting to doubt if this would be a good idea but I thought I would still ask experienced owners on the off chance it'll work.
    Thanks in advance for any feedback <3

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,341 Rec'd/1,698 Posts
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1005 Post(s)

Re: Is this size okay???

Thank you for doing homework before adopting.

Guinea pigs are ground dwellers and need large space to run laps. Multi-level cages are not suitable for them.
    See this page for more info:
    https://www.guineapigcages.com/

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Is this size okay???

That's what I thought. Thank you, lissie. If I'm going to get guinea pigs I want them to be as happy as piggly possible so I'll try to figure something else out or look into other animals. Thank you again.

User Tag List