Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New pig aggression

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sly is the elder statesman of the group. He's 5 1/2 years old. When his brother Pooper passed away in October, after much decision making decided to get two baby boys to keep him company. They are now just over 5 months old.

Everything has been fantastic until last night. Punkin and Scooter, the new additions, have always been close and you can just tell they're bonded. Last night Punkin decided he was going to take on Sly. Sly as I said is a senior and due to osseous metaplasia doesn't see well any more. There has been a lot of chasing, teeth chattering and even though Sly has become a very quiet pig he has been wheeking and crying very loudly and running into things. Punkin simply will not leave him alone and I am afraid Sly will run into something trying to get away from him and get hurt.

There has been no blood drawn and I understand that they have to go through this to sort out dominance, but I am worried that Sly will be injured just trying to run away.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
As of just now I have separated Sly. Punkin is at him constantly chasing and biting and Sly is old enough that I'm worried about his health and I do not want him injured. He's running into everything trying to get away and is extremely stressed. When I try to pick him up he panics and won't even let me touch him.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Since Sly's well being is of course first and foremost, I have built a second 2x4 grid cage at the other end of the pen from Sly. The baby brothers now occupy that cage, and they can now meet in the middle for supervised floor time. It breaks my heart, as the entire reason for the baby pigs was for Sly after losing Poopy. Unfortunately, I can't have him harassed and injured at his age, so this is how it will have to be.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.