Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction Routine cleaning for boars?

Louie1

Cavy Slave
Hi! I just stared fostering a boar. He's my first boar and I'm wondering if he will need routine cleaning or any kind other than nail clipping. His poops look totally normal. Not sure of his age but I'd say at least 18 months.

Poor guy is super shy but did tolerate me clipping his nails and a little skin spur on his front foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirah93

Cavy Slave
I have two boars and I do weekly check ups on their private parts. Routine cleanings aren't necessary, just clean their sacs and penis if there are any foreign objects such as hay, bedding, or boar glue, stuck there. To do this you will need to draw back the penis and remove all objects.

If the boar is older, you use paper bedding, and he's already prone to impactions, then I would do weekly cleanings. Otherwise, check ups are fine.

See this post: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/85830-Awesome-video-on-how-to-clean-the-Anal-Sac
Don't clean them as often as the video says.

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Boars should be checked regularly, at least weekly, but only clean if necessary.

Louie1

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I'll start checking! Should I wait until he's a little more comfortable with me? He already had to deal with me cutting his nails the first day he was here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Either. You can start now, or wait a few days. He'll survive either way.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.