Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

In Heat Follow-up for Frenchfries

Tgrady

Cavy Slave
Frenchie went to the vet today. The doctor found a mass where the uterus is. Before we left we found brown discharge. Some probing with a thermometer in his office dislodged a large amount of this discharge. It turned out to be degraded blood. He came to the conclusion that it's either an excessive estrus cycle, or something potentially more serious like cancer. So far, Frenchie's weight has not fluctuated. Her stools have become more normal, and she seems to be getting her lethargy.
So, who knows? Maybe she's a miracle-piggy who gets periods?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dirah93

Cavy Slave
If there's a mass in her uterus, that could be ovarian tumors/cysts and she might need to be spayed by your vet. Female guinea pigs do not get periods. If she's bleeding, it could most likely be a UTI or bladder stones. Ovarian tumors/cysts, to my knowledge does not cause bleeding, unless it bursts.

Please read this page to read more about ovarian cysts: https://www.guinealynx.info/ovarian_cysts.html
UTI - https://www.guinealynx.info/uti.html

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I'd bet on a ruptured cyst, or cancer. Did the vet recommend getting her spayed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My bet would be on a ruptured ovarian or uterine cyst, either of which could cause bleeding.

Tgrady

Cavy Slave
I'd bet on a ruptured cyst, or cancer. Did the vet recommend getting her spayed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, he did. He says if there's active bleeding, then we need to take immediate action. But right now it looks like the uterus is trying to clean itself out

dirah93

Cavy Slave
The page about the cyst seems to be exactly what she's experiencing

If the cyst is ruptured, it opens up the possibility of an infection occurring. The best thing would be to speak to your vet and see if they can remove the cyst and have her spayed as soon as possible

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I do hope a ruptured cyst is all it is, and I'm glad you got her to a vet. If I'm not mistaken, though, isn't this the piggie who jumped out of your hands and, for lack of a better term, hit the floor about six weeks ago? Did your vet happen to do radiographs or any other diagnostic imaging, just to rule anything else out?

Tgrady

Cavy Slave
I do hope a ruptured cyst is all it is, and I'm glad you got her to a vet. If I'm not mistaken, though, isn't this the piggie who jumped out of your hands and, for lack of a better term, hit the floor about six weeks ago? Did your vet happen to do radiographs or any other diagnostic imaging, just to rule anything else out?

Yeah, she's the naughty one. Always something with her, haha... he ruled it out for the fact that she didn't hit a surface at any sort of angle...she's more likely would have injured a foot or leg, but she isn't limping.
I'm hoping he didn't tell me this just to put it under the table. They don't have ultrasound, so they have no way to say what the mass is for certain

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Good to know. When I remembered that I kind of got the chills. I sincerely hope everything turns out ok.

Tgrady

Cavy Slave
Good to know. When I remembered that I kind of got the chills. I sincerely hope everything turns out ok.

Thanks so much. I'm hoping for the best, but also kinda expecting the worst at this point. At least she's more up-beat than earlier his week

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I feel your pain. My little grizzly bear goes in Thursday, possibly for another round of molar trimming.

Tgrady

Cavy Slave
I feel your pain. My little grizzly bear goes in Thursday, possibly for another round of molar trimming.

Poor baby! Hope all turns out well!!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He had one round three days before Christmas. All seemed well but his teeth are now slanted in the other direction, so hopefully just a hay poke. I'm trying to be optimistic but he's already got teeth issues. I'm sure he'll turn out ok. Hopefully your little one clears up with no further issues. It's like having sick children, isn't it? Only this way they can't tell you what's wrong....

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Any word on how French fries is doing?

Tgrady

Cavy Slave
I haven't been to the vet again yet, but she seems to be doing really well! Her weight is good, as well as her appetite. And she's happy to get her hay again!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Awesome! Glad to hear a little bit of good news!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.