Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight Determining age by size

Laura Rebecca

Cavy Slave
I bought my first guinea pig a month ago (named Beatrice), I had done research on them beforehand but clearly I hadn't researched enough because I bought her from Petco (the next two I bought were adopted though!)
Anyway, the employee told me Beatrice was 6 months old, but she already is up to 721 grams! I was wondering if that is normal female weight at 7 months (ish) or if she is probably closer to a year old already. Thanks!

equinox96

Cavy Slave
I've found this chart a while back and I liked it, it looked pretty accurate by my piggies.

https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

My 5 month old boy weighs 875g and my 11 month old boy weighs 1142g

I wanted to add my eldest is a peruvian and I remember reading at one time that they do tend to get bigger than regular piggies. My youngest is a silky

dirah93

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately there's not really any way to know for sure. If you weigh her weekly, and her weight seems to increase steadily every time, then this means she's pretty young. It's easy to know the age of very small guinea pigs because of their tiny size, and generally they tend to popcorn a lot, at least with my young boar he was doing that very frequently.

In a way, it's kind of easy to tell the age of an older guinea pig as well, since generally they are less active and are at a stable weight all the time. Another way to possibly determine age is to observe their claws. Claws can get thicker and curl once they start to age, and baby claws are tiny, straight, and very thin.

Keep in mind that guinea pigs are like humans, in that they come in all different shapes and sizes, big or small. However, since you did mention that Beatrice is 721 grams, that would indicate that she's around 6 months give or take, but to reiterate, there's not really an absolute way to know or determine that.

Last edited:

Laura Rebecca

Cavy Slave
This was only the second week I've weighed them (she and my other piggy Buddy both gained about 50 grams since last week). I guess it'll be easier to tell the longer I continue to weigh.
Buddy, who is about 5 months popcorns quite a bit. She also is just out and about more than Beatrice. Just yesterday she let me pick her up and was super calm and fine with it! Whereas Beatrice, is still skiddish and rarely popcorns. But some piggies just take more time than others regardless of age.
Thank you for the feedback!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can't determine a guinea pig's age by weight any more than you can a human. They're all different sizes, and to some extent, shapes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.