Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How much $$ for a 2x4 c&c?

I am still doing my research on guinea pigs because I want to make sure I am as informed as possible before making a commitment and am trying to talk my husband into letting me get a 2x4 c&c cage for two female pigs if we do decide on them but he is concerned about how much we would spend on bedding with a cage that large. There is a feed store close by that sells a 40lb bag of kiln dried pine bedding for 6 dollars and I just wondered how far that would go? Would it last at least 4 cage cleanings if we changed the bedding once a week?

Before people chime in with the fleece talk...please don't waste your time. Fleece is not an option for us for many reasons so it is shavings or nothing.

So how long do you think a 40lb bag of pine shavings designed for horse stalls would last us if we had a 2x4?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,341 Rec'd/1,698 Posts
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1004 Post(s)

Re: How much $$ for a 2x4 c&c?

You can build your own C&C cage for under $30. See this thread for places to buy materials.
    https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...d.php?t=107825

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, I know. That does not answer my question, though. How much would it cost for weekly and monthly upkeep for a 2x4 cage if we used kiln dried pine at 6 dollars per 40lb bag? The upfront cost is not so much the issue as the ongoing weekly and monthly cost that would go on for years.

4. "Thank you, TheGirlWhoLived, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    81 Rec'd/51 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

I have no idea about how far a 40lb bag will go, but if you are already worried about a $6 dollar spend, wanting to have it last 4 weeks, piggies may not be a good choice for you.

Piggies also need fresh vegetable every day and a proper pellet for food.

But most important of all, vetcare can get really expensive. They need a specialized vet and treatment can be very costly as piggies often don't show illness until they are really ill and it becomes an emergency.
    I don't live in the US, but I am sure people can chime in with medical costs they have incurred. Even for something relatively simple to fix, it may cost you a couple of 100$...

Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/14 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

It would last about a month, if not then 3 weeks. Although you said its kiln dried, make sure there isn't any "pine" smell to the bedding. If there is a smell I would recommend airing it out first before using it in your cage.

Also just to note, if your husband is concerned about spending $6 a month, I wonder if he knows about the ongoing cost of fresh veggies, good quality hay, and pellets?

Just to give you an idea on hay:
    KMS Hayloft hay sells 45lb. for $69.67 (includes shipping) that would last 6 months if stored properly
    Small Pet Select hay sells 60lb. for $79.99 (includes shipping) that would last 7-8 months if stored properly
    American Pet Diner hay sells 25lb. for $95.41 (includes shipping) that would last 3 months if stored properly

For pellets:
    KMS Hayloft sells 10lb. of pellets for $22.95 (includes shipping) that would last 6 months if stored properly
    Oxbow Cavy Cuisine sells 10lb. of pellets for $22.20 that would last 6 months if stored properly

For fresh veggies, they usually cost me an average of $10-$12 a week, or $40-$48 a month.

In total, that's averaging anywhere from $61.43 - $89.50 a month, or $737.16 - $1,074 a year.

If you’re able to get hay locally as well, that’s great since you’ll save a lot of money there. But there’s still the ongoing monthly cost of veggies, pellets, and pine bedding.

Please also take into account vet bills, as they can get very costly if your guinea pig becomes ill. Sorry for the long post, just wanted you to get as much information as possible before adopting guinea pigs.

7. "Thank you, dirah93, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for the information. I haven't told him about the 6 dollar pine bedding yet, he was just likely going off of seeing rather small bags for 10-15 dollars at pet stores. Using those would add up pretty quickly in a c&c cage! I wanted to have an idea of how long it would last before "surprising" him with that bit of info since I didn't even know that Pine was ok as long as it's kiln dried until very recently

Six dollars a month on bedding is a great deal in my opinion, and I know he will agree.

I was also curious from a logistics standpoint since driving to the feed store every week with two kids to get a 40lb bag of bedding would have been a bit of a hassle.

Thank you all again. Figuring all this stuff out is part of the research process for me, since I think too many people just buy them on a whim from the pet store thinking they're basically like oversized gerbils and not realizing how much work/money/space goes into properly taking care of them.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

I buy the 40lb bags of mini flakes from a feed store and they last me 3 changes for a 3x4, so you should have no problem getting 4 changes from it. If they offer the mini flakes, get those as it is the softest of the cuts. If you have a garage, get a few bags a trip and cut down on your trips. You cost of fresh veggies is the most expensive for keeping piggies as each need one cup of fresh veggies a day, 1/8 of a green or colored pepper for vitamin C, a leafy green or red leaf lettuce( ice berg has no nutritional value, do not fed to them) a slice of cucumber and a inch of carrot. I split the cup in half and give it twice a day. And a 1/8 cup each of good plain (no seeds and bits) pellets. and Hay 24/7, hay bought in the stores seems cheaper over buying from smallpet select or kmshayloft when you see the shipping costs but broken down price per pound, the bag from the store is over 43 a pound and the rest is $over a 1.00 a pound. If your feed store sells good soft green hay, that will be the cheapest, mine did not, it was horrible hay, not fit even for horses. Good luck and start saving for the vets too. Most never need to go but some are a problem child.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

not only vet cost, but if you have a pig with allergies you won't be able to use wooden bedding. When I got my rescue girls i was using aspen and after spending about $250 at the vet on antibiotics and a return of an exotic animal check fee because she was still coughing, the vet suggested something in her environment was bothering her. It was the aspen bedding. I recently just built a 2 x5 c and c cage and I found my fleece blankets on sale because its spring. I use a old towel under the fleece in the middle of the cage and paper bedding on the sides because they poop where they sleep on one end and poop/pee where they eat on the other end of the cage. I have a tub with low sides I use as their "kitchen" so all the poop is usually mostly there. Unless you already have a guinea pig and are using aspen, you have no idea how they will react to that wood odor. I know those pellets aren't aspen but they are wood and I can't use them because Chicken will get sick again if I do. I also have to keep her cage very clean because if it gets only just alittle smelly she will start coughing. Anyway, I just built my cage this week, but I'm amazed at how clean (not counting the paper bedding sticking) the fleece has stayed. A bigger cage actually stays cleaner longer because there are more places to poop.
    Last edited by mellieann; 03-11-17 at 09:46 am. Reason: i'm bad at typing

User Tag List