Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Ring worm

CharlieBee123

Cavy Slave
Soo I have 2 new baby piggies both around 6 weeks old and I believe they have ring worm :sigh: I have been using Imaverol and kwench lotion to the affected areas but one of the patches has become sore and is bleeding. What should I do? Stop the treatment or is this normal? I think he's knocked the scab off! Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, stop the treatment. It's obviously irritating the skin.

Where on the pigs are these lesions?

CharlieBee123

Cavy Slave
1 pig has a patch on eye lid and under eye and a patch on Back. The other has patch on nose which is the sore bit patch in between ears and s bit on his belly

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Are they scratching at them?

If the lesions are not round, it's not ringworm. Ring got its name because it causes a round, ring-like lesion.

I'd treat for a fungus with something that's not nearly as irritating. Imaverol is not designed for guinea pigs. You can go to any pharmacy and get something like Lotrimin or Nystatin, apply it twice a day with a q-tip and rub it in well. Be sure not to get it in the pig's eye. Don't use the lotion until you've finished with the treatment.

If it helps, keep treating it even after the lesions start to clear. Fungus can be hard to get rid of.

CharlieBee123

Cavy Slave
Yea its all in round patches. I'm going to pick up some anti fungal cream. Will it be OK to use on the sore or should I leave that to heal?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It should be ok to use. But if there's a scab on the sore, just apply it around the scab, which will eventually come off on its own.

CharlieBee123

Cavy Slave
Thank you

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.