Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids Question about building my guinea pigs a cage

miss.lyonice

Cavy Slave
So. I've been on a budget lately and I've been in need of upgrading Mars and Poppy's cage. They're my first pair of guinea pigs. While I did lots on research on guinea pigs before I got them...I forgot to look up cage sizes that are recommended. Like a dummy, I ended up having the lady at the pet store convince me to buy a cage for $100 that was WAY TOO SMALL for two adult guinea pigs. I didn't realize how small it really was until I got them (last week). Since I couldn't return the cage, I ended up $100 down the drain. Anyway, since all the money I saved up went to waste, I couldn't afford to buy the supplies to for a c&c cage. Well. Today, I went to the thrift store. I found an 18-piece set of the grids for $3 !! But the problem is, the set didn't have the connectors. I was wondering if there was a way I could connect them together that without the connectors. I want it to be as safe as possible! I'm a newbie and I'm still trying to learn as much as I can and do the best for my piggies! Thanks! -SH

(EDIT): i didn't buy my piggies from the pet store. I adopted them. I would NEVER buy any pets from pet store after I found out how cruel the breeders treat their animals.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can connect them with zip-ties. Get fairly sturdy ones, but they'll do fine.

And you might be able to take the cage back. Clean it up real well and see if you can return it. If not, you can use it for a travel or hospital cage if you ever need it for that.

miss.lyonice

Cavy Slave
i called them and asked if I could return it. They said without the box, I couldn't return it. My mom was really eager to get everything put together and we ended up throwing out the box before I even got the piggies. I never travel and I have a pet carrier for vet visits. So I think I might try to sell it on craigslist or something. I was wondering though....is there any brand or type of zip-ties you recommend?

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can buy 8" zip ties. They are the thicker ones. On the bag should say supports up to 75lbs.

Please make sure your grids are the safe ones. They should be 9x9 squares across.
See this thread for reference:
(broken link removed)!!

miss.lyonice

Cavy Slave
thanks! I put the cage together today with my dad, and it was kind of flimsy. It's going in the corner of my room....so two sides will be against the wall (which gives it more support). I had no clue you could buy the connectors without buying the grids themselve. Thanks ! I found the set of 50 for $10. I'm probably going to get them soon. Thanks again

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.