Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lethargy Lost a member of the family today, I dont know what happened

cavy_lover1

Cavy Gazer
My american short hair Alberto was lost today. He was 7 years old. He died suddenly and I am wondering what he might have died of. He was very healthy and eating the day before and drinking water. He was running around and popcorning which is sometimes hard for them when they are older. This early morning about 430 I woke up to get ready for work and I saw he was puffed up in the corner of the cage. He was responsive to y voice and attempted to eat some veggies I put out. I put him in a quarantine cage, but he kept getting worse.

At about 4:30 am this morning he would not move from his spot. I put some more veggies out and he walked 2 wobbly steps and he paid his head down. He tried getting up but he could not use his front paws and lifted his bottom for a short period. I stayed home from work and tried to give him fluid through a medicine dropper, but he would not take it. I forced some down his throat and he accepted some. After about an hour he was breathing hard and this lasted until about 7 am. At this time I was ready to take him to the vet (they open at 8) and he was limp but breathing. I called the vet to see what I could do and they told me to bring him in. The closest vet is 25 minutes away so i got into the car and at 732 he passed away while laying on my chest. I did notice one thing after he passed, on one of his nipples was a blue spot, maybe from lack of oxygen but that was the only part that was blue besides the lips

I just dont know why it happened so suddenly. I know that cavys hide their diseases until its too late, but he was not losing weight, he had good fluid intake, was eating and producing poops that were normal color and consistency. Maybe just age but it seemed so sudden and weird any ideas?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry you lost him.

Seven is a very good age for a cavy, and is testament to the good care you took of him. He could have died of heart failure or a stroke, and wouldn't necessarily have shown any signs of it beforehand.

cavy_lover1

Cavy Gazer
that makes sense and thank you for the reply. It was just a odd thing to see. He was very loved and i shall miss him every day but I still have an 8 year old and a 1 year old to take care of so I still have that happiness :). I think it may have been a stroke, the way he was walking kind of made me think it was, but then again everything is speculation unless a necropsy is performed. Thank you for your kind words

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
It does sound like a heart attack or stroke to me. That would explain the sudden onset, strange walking etc., as well as the blue areas.

He was old, and had you with him when he passed, which I'm sure was a great comfort to him. Still, losing a pig is very hard, and I'm so sorry it happened to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cavy_lover1

Cavy Gazer
thank you for your kind words has been hard, I was thinking stroke but just wanted input :) thanks for responding I really appreciate and thank you for that.

cavy_lover1

Cavy Gazer
thank you so very much for your kind and amazing reply I really appreciate all the support

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.