Thread: How much lap time do you give your gpigs?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

How much lap time do you give your gpigs?

Will taking them out of the cage multiple times for lap time affect him?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    84 Rec'd/76 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

Re: How much lap time do you give your gpigs?

I'd say just do it once or twice per day. Most pigs won't appreciate being taken out of their cage multiple times during the day. I give my boys separate laptimes, once a day. Although, sometimes I won't have time and they'll only get it 1-2 times a week. Get to know your pigs before you start doing daily laptime. My tamest pig, Flyn, loves laptime. He will literally sit on my lap for hours if I'd let him. He even chatters his teeth at me when I put him back in the cage I give him laptime more frequently. Bramley, on the other hand, has only been here for 2 weeks. So far, he seems to have a really shy, reserved personality. He will only let me pet him a few times. Picking him up freaks him out, and he doesn't really enjoy laptime. He'll mostly just sit there or walk off my lap, unlike Flyn who will stretch out or climb up to sit on my shoulder. I'd say the more tame your pigs are and the more they like to be pet, the more laptime you can give them. If they don't enjoy being pet or picked up, it's best to just give as little laptime as possible.

3. "Thank you, CavyTV, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    201 Rec'd/188 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    129 Post(s)

Depends on the pig. Odeta and Theo I take out once or twice a day, Bitters I usually don't give much lap time, because she doesn't seem to enjoy it or ever relax. I just pet between her ears a bit whenever I go by her while she's in the cage, and she seems fine with that. If I do take her out, she prefers to sit in a blanket next to me, or to have floor time, rather than to be on my lap.

5. "Thank you, jaycriae, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CavyTV View Post
    I'd say just do it once or twice per day. Most pigs won't appreciate being taken out of their cage multiple times during the day. I give my boys separate laptimes, once a day. Although, sometimes I won't have time and they'll only get it 1-2 times a week. Get to know your pigs before you start doing daily laptime. My tamest pig, Flyn, loves laptime. He will literally sit on my lap for hours if I'd let him. He even chatters his teeth at me when I put him back in the cage I give him laptime more frequently. Bramley, on the other hand, has only been here for 2 weeks. So far, he seems to have a really shy, reserved personality. He will only let me pet him a few times. Picking him up freaks him out, and he doesn't really enjoy laptime. He'll mostly just sit there or walk off my lap, unlike Flyn who will stretch out or climb up to sit on my shoulder. I'd say the more tame your pigs are and the more they like to be pet, the more laptime you can give them. If they don't enjoy being pet or picked up, it's best to just give as little laptime as possible.
    Ok. Yes I know my piggies I have have 2 girls. Karma and Lulu. Karma will sit for lap time for about 2 hours but I lower it most days. With Lulu I can only get about 15 minutes of lap time. They just wheek even when they have food, water, hay, toys. I just thought they might want to be picked up. They get so happy when I come home.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    80 Rec'd/65 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

I've never done much laptime with any of my pigs, partly because I'm just really busy and don't usually have the time to sit down for that long, and partly because they usually seem to prefer for me to play with them on the floor rather than crawl up into my lap and sit there. I've tried laptime with my older boar before, but it's like trying to cuddle with a busy toddler; he just wants to get down and explore. But we all play together in the evening during floortime, so we have our own bonding thing I guess.

8. "Thank you, LittleSqueakers, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    607 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

It really depends on the personality of your cavies.

Sparky will sit on my lap literally for hours if I will let him. Their cage sits alongside my desk in my small home office, so we interact frequently throughout the day. Sometimes I will put one on a towel in my lap as I work at my desk and they seem to enjoy being back under the keyboard tray where they think that they are hidden.

Chip is very high-strung, active and mischievous and has difficulty sitting still for long (I love LittleSqueakers' analogy of a "busy toddler") He does like to cuddle with Sparky so he has learned to settle down on the lap and be relatively still. My husband and I try to have an hour of bonding time for us at the end of the day so it has become a family affair with the "boys".

10. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List