Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing Baby Mocha might be ill

guineashark

Cavy Slave
Two days ago I fell in love with a gorgeous baby guinea pig from Petco. Almost immediately I noticed that she was sneezing a little so I've been snooping around here for answers.

She'll sneeze maybe twice every few hours that she's napping and more frequently (maybe like 4 times) when she's awake. She has been doing this since the day we brought her home. I'm thinking it has to be either an allergy or URI so she had a bath in case it was an allergy. I'm now monitoring to see it that helped. The only symptom she has is the sneezing though... am I freaking out over the baby for nothing?

Of course I'll be scheduling her first vet visit tomorrow, but because of long college hours and a lack of transportation I can't get her in until Saturday.
Is there anything I can do for her between now and then?

Thank you in advance for any advice

kcake67

Cavy Slave
What kind of hay are you using? I started out using Kaytee and it was making my pigs sneezy.

guineashark

Cavy Slave
We're using Small Pet Select Timothy Hay

kcake67

Cavy Slave
Also what kind of bedding do you have? Some are dustier than others.

guineashark

Cavy Slave
right now she only has puppy pee pads as she's in a quarantine cage

kcake67

Cavy Slave
Well, then maybe she is just a sneezey little pig. Batman used to sneeze and then he just stopped, like he grew out of it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Petco pigs have URIs super often. It's a combination of being kept in cramped conditions and being taken from their mothers too young to get all the antibodies they need from the milk.
One of my pigs was a petco pig with a URI, and a lot of other people have had it happen to them, too. Hopefully if Mocha has a URI, it's early enough that it'll clear up with no problems. In the meantime before your appointment, the main thing you can do to help her is make sure she keeps eating and drinking, since loss of appetite can get pretty bad if it's a URI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.