Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Young guinea pig might be pregnant?

Synth

Cavy Gazer
We got this guinea pig about two weeks ago and everyday I notice her belly get bigger and bigger. We thought she might be bloated but we checked on her for a long time and all we see is a happy, energetic guinea pig, she eats enough, drinks more than her cage mate (which we made sure is also a female), she urinates and defecates normally, she breathes fine, etc. We pressed on her belly and it didn't feel like it was full of pressure or gas or anything. We didn't feel any babies kicking either, but if she would be pregnant I think it might be too early to feel that.
I find it important to mention that we went back to where we got her from to possibly get another piggy and all the females had rounder bellies and their nipples were erect. They were held together with males, all of the guinea pigs being between a month and a month and a half old.
My guinea pig should be around a month old now, does she seem pregnant? How could I confirm? Here are some pictures we took of her:
DSC_3457.jpgDSC_3458.jpgDSC_3462.jpgDSC_3463.jpg
Her belly was normal and she didn't look chubby at all a few days ago.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
She very well could be pregnant. It's a bit hard to tell this early on and since she's still growing herself, though. Good luck, and make sure she has access to plenty of calcium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If she's only a month old, it's unlikely that she's pregnant, although it's possible. Males are usually fertile at about 3.5 weeks, and females at 4.5 weeks. You could be off a few days about her age, or she could be one of those who got pregnant earlier.

If she is pregnant, you won't be able to tell for sure for a few weeks. In the early stages, the fetuses are very tiny, and won't start putting on significant weight until they're four or more weeks along. Here's a thread with some more info: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she

Pregnant pigs and young pigs get the same diet, so you wouldn't have to do anything different for her. But she should absolutely get a very high quality pellet (KMS Hayloft, available only online), or Oxbow for young pigs, and highly recommended. She needs a high quality timothy hay, better than what you can find at a pet store, and some good veggies. Bell pepper is excellent for pigs, since it's high in vitamin C, and pigs can't manufacture it themselves. Pregnancy is exceedingly hard on baby sows, and a really good diet will give her the best chance of surviving the pregnancy and the delivery.

If you're new to guinea pigs, here's some recommended reading:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Synth

Cavy Gazer
Thank you for your replies, we'll make sure to read everything in those links! Is there any way we could know if anything else could be the cause?

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Not really. If she's not pregnant, it's likely just that she's going to be a rounder-shaped adult piggy. Her fluff most definitely emphasizes her chubbiness, too. She's like a very large cotton ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.