Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Guinea pig with mites: soothing skin before vet?

pumpkinmocha

Cavy Slave
I'm pretty sure my poor little pigs have mites. They are very itchy, with terrible dandruff, and while there are no bald spots, their fur is coming out very easily in large amounts. I'm not feeling confidant enough to medicate them myself, and appointments with my vet aren't available until March first. I'm going to try to do a walk-in on Monday, but is there anything I can do in the meantime to ease their suffering?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can't really do anyting but treat them for mites, if the problem is mites. If you bathe them, it'll just make it worse.

But dosing them yourself with ivermectin is pretty easy if you can get pour-on stuff. Instructions are here: And if you can find the stuff locally, I'd go ahead and treat them. March 1 is a week away, and that's a long time to be itchy.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Oops. Thanks, jaycriae.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.