Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Urine and squeaking

My guinea pig is 7ish months old. She earned a clean bill of health a few weeks ago though she is at her max weight and i was told to back off on veggies so that they were every other day and to lesson the amount of pellets to about two table spoons a day. Recently in the past few days I've noticed what i think is sludge? Its not gritty...but im concerned. Yui squeaks...not loudly or like she is in distress when she pees now, and its new.
    Her diet consists of Green/red peppers, spinach or kale, Fruit Friday[she gets a slice of tangerine or whatever safe fruit im eating that day] sometimes a chip of carrot and zucchini squash as her staple. I have not been experimenting with too many veggies or fruits because im not sure whether a lot of them can be fed as staples.
    She also gets oxbow Botanical Hay and Oxbow Essentials Young Guinea Pig Food[pellets] daily.
    She isn't acting lethargic...she eats and drinks normally but the white stuff is new. Her poops are normal except for when they have[what i think is sludge] on them...im a new guinea pig owner so i really have no idea. Most of her poops don't have anything on them and look normal.
    Ive set up an appointment for this saturday morning but im not sure if i should wait. Its Animal and Avian hospital in Florida. The emergency 24/7 exotics hospital im considering taking Yui to is called Blue Pearl.
    She isn't acting weird but she is leaving these marks on her fleece which is new and this is despite me cutting back the calcium in her diet just recently before any of this happened?
    She was also eating 100% of her poop three days ago but stopped. This was right after i cleaned her cage...its the 2nd time that's happened.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Re: Urine and squeaking

You say you've cut back but I still see lots of high calcium items. Kale and spinach. Young guinea pig pellets. Those are all high in calcium. I'm also surprised that any vet would tell you to cut back on veg for weight loss. I'm sure the more experienced members will correct me if I'm wrong about that.

If she is squeaking when she pees I would get her checked. I have a stone pig so I am cautious about things like that. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barbaramudge View Post
    You say you've cut back but I still see lots of high calcium items. Kale and spinach. Young guinea pig pellets. Those are all high in calcium. I'm also surprised that any vet would tell you to cut back on veg for weight loss. I'm sure the more experienced members will correct me if I'm wrong about that.

If she is squeaking when she pees I would get her checked. I have a stone pig so I am cautious about things like that. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you. And its cutting back because i was giving her that everyday. The vet told me to stop giving Yui unlimited pellets all day...that they are used to fatten them up.
    She said Yui just needs unlimited high quality hay fortified with vitamin c and clean water. the veggies should limited to every other day, while the pellets are reduced to two table spoons a day. I was apparently giving Yui enough veggies for two guinea pigs every day and shed eat it all.
    I am taking her to the vet saturday...but im not sure if this is serious or not. The Blue Pearl reception person told me i should wait for the vet appointment unless my guinea pig became lethargic, stopped eating and drinking...or i noticed any serious issues with stool like blood or diharea

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

I must have misunderstood part of your post then. 1/8 cup of pellets is recommended above 6 months. Adult pellets, not young pig pellets. The Young pig pellets have to much calcium for them. 1 cup of veggies per day, which is best to have red or green leaf lettuce and 1/8 of green bell pepper (that has the needed vitamin c) is suggested. There are great nutrition lists pinned in the diet area of the forum. It's hard for a pig to be over weight without a diet/exercise issue. Unlimited pellets would definitely be an issue so it's good that you've corrected that. I personally, wouldn't cut veg down to every other day. Daily veg is important. Unlimited hay is also correct, though I've never seen fortified hay myself. Hay is just hay. I don't have any problem with you waiting till Saturday as long as she is eating, drinking and pooping without issue as you said.

I'm sure you will get more responses in the morning. Again, lots of good reading on diet etc in pinned posts and many posts about sludge, bladder stones and uti's.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,227 Rec'd/5,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3801 Post(s)

I'm still not impressed with the vet's recommendation.

I'd cut the kale and spinach out altogether and substitute red or green leaf lettuce. Kale and spinach are way too high in calcium to be fed on a regular basis. Just give a bit occasionally as a treat.

Take her off the alfalfa pellets, switch immediately to timothy, and limit them to no more than 1/8 cup per day.

It's nearly impossible for a guinea pig to be overweight. About the only time that can happen is if a pig is fed way too many pellets, or is immobile and unable to move much at all. Vets often base weight recommendations off of the values in their textbooks. Those were derived from lab animals, not pets. All of my pigs have weighed 3 pounds or more at adult weight. Your pig is still growing. Give her a cup or so of veggies daily.

6. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

I never heard of vitamin c fortified hay. She should be eating 1 cup of veggies a day, of that cup, 1/8 of a pepper for vitamin c, red or green lettuce, a slice of cucumber and a piece of carrot. That 1 cup and be broken up to two 1/2 servings a day too. A good plain timothy pellet 1/8 of a cup measured. And unlimited hay and fresh water. Never has our vet ever said any of my pigs were too fat and he saw my biggest too who was almost 4 lbs. A chubby pig has a buffer for if and when they may get sick. It is extremely hard to get the weight back on them after they been sick. Please do your pig a favor and allow her to be a natural chubby pig.

Thanks
    Thanks
    156 Rec'd/122 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

I measure my pellets by tablespoons. I had an extra one lying around. The vet was correct about the amount of pellets.

two tablespoons = 1/8 cup.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    I'm still not impressed with the vet's recommendation.

I'd cut the kale and spinach out altogether and substitute red or green leaf lettuce. Kale and spinach are way too high in calcium to be fed on a regular basis. Just give a bit occasionally as a treat.

Take her off the alfalfa pellets, switch immediately to timothy, and limit them to no more than 1/8 cup per day.

It's nearly impossible for a guinea pig to be overweight. About the only time that can happen is if a pig is fed way too many pellets, or is immobile and unable to move much at all. Vets often base weight recommendations off of the values in their textbooks. Those were derived from lab animals, not pets. All of my pigs have weighed 3 pounds or more at adult weight. Your pig is still growing. Give her a cup or so of veggies daily.
    So i need to Find adult guinea pig food based on timothy hay and buy green and red leaf lettuce? And start feeding her veggies every day?
    Yui gets at least an hour of floor time a day and has a midwestern cage that's square feet[not grids] so she also has plenty of room to run around in there. How do i get rid of the calcium build up in her urine now? I didn't feed her pellets or veggies today because i have to go get some.
    Does Oxbow have adult guinea pig pellets?

Weird Behavior:
    Last night and today Yui was calling me. She basically squeaks really loudly until i come over to the cage and then she wants me to pet her sometimes or she just walks away from me. Im very confused about what she wants other than treats that she cant have. During floor time she just constantly has he snout to the ground sniffing everything like she os foraging

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    201 Rec'd/188 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    128 Post(s)

Oxbow does have adult guinea pig pellets. You can also buy good pellets from KMS Hayloft online.

The weird behavior probably was begging for treats.

User Tag List