Thanks
    Thanks
    84 Rec'd/76 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

how do you wash your fleece

For all of you that use a washing machine to wash piggie laundry, does all of that pesky hair get stuck in the washer? My parents won't let me use it because they think the hair, feces, and hay will damage the washer or get on their clothes (I told them I shake out all of the poop out and as much of the hair and hay that I can but they still believe it will effect the washer negatively). Washing 2x8 liners and countless cozies in the bathtub by hand is NOT easy, so I am curious to know how you wash fleece or if you have ever been in the same situation. Thank you in advance.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,333 Rec'd/5,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

Re: how do you wash your fleece

You can buy king-sized pillow cases at a thrift shop and use hair scrunchies to close them up. Wash the bedding in the pillowcases. Problem solved.

3. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    84 Rec'd/76 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

Thank you for your advice. However, I can't imagine finding a big enough pillow case that will allow the liners to wash fully. Is this how you wash your fleece? Also, wouldn't the hair just go through the fabric while in the wash? I'm not trying to say your idea is bad, it's just hard to imagine it working.

Thanks
    Thanks
    718 Rec'd/619 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)

@CavyTV, if you don't mind spending some money, horse blanket washing bags are a great solution. I don't believe they sell them here in the US, but you can purchase them from the UK. I've bought two from a seller on eBay and just recently saw them for sale on Amazon.com.

They work perfectly at keeping all the hay and hair out of your washer. I put all of my fleece in them and run it through the washer and then I take everything out of the bags and just put it loose into the dryer.

I feel that they are worth the cost.

6. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," say these 4 members:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

I have never tried these myself, but sugar and spice piggies on youtube got a pet wear wash bag that is designed to keep all the bits from getting into the washing machine. Here's the link to the video-https://youtu.be/gmOAak-mvIY

8. "Thank you, CupcakeCavy, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
    Thanks
    Thanks
    132 Rec'd/96 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)

I have a horsewear washbag, and completely agree with Kelsie: they are well worth their weight in gold (or piggy hair!). I used to constantly have to unclog our washing machine with 20 or so piggies all living on fleece or fleece liners, but now, it's super easy to keep all the leftover fur contained in a zip-up bag.

10. "Thank you, stray hares, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,333 Rec'd/5,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

I do wash fleece in pillow cases, and no, the hair doesn't come through.

If you don't think the pillow cases are large enough, buy some sheets at the thrift store and make your own bags.

12. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    I do wash fleece in pillow cases, and no, the hair doesn't come through.

If you don't think the pillow cases are large enough, buy some sheets at the thrift store and make your own bags.
    How difficult is it to get the hay and hair off the pillowcase? I was just looking at the bags they're talking about and they look like they may be make of a vinyl like fabric. I can see the hair and hay sticking to the cotton of the cases. I'm seriously looking into either buying or making from sheets. Just wondering about the fabric.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,333 Rec'd/5,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

I don't try to get it off. All I use those cases for is to wash pig bedding. I just shake them out when they come out of the dryer, and if any is left stuck to the case, it just stays there.

15. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I use fleece strictly, and wash it weekly. You do have to be careful with the hay that clings to it. That can damage your washer. I take it outside and brush it off really good, using the brush from my brush and dust pan set, and shake any poo out that didn't get picked up when I vacuumed it using my Bissel pet hair remover hand held sweeper. I don't really find a lot of hair/fur from my pigs. But I don't have long haired pigs either, that could possibly be different? I just brush it off really good and shake it outside. Then put it in the washing machine, using Woolite, and a little white vinegar. Then put it in the dryer. You will have to clean the lint trap in your dryer right after! Fleece does build up on it, and possibly any hay you missed. But with 3 pigs, and regular washings I haven't found any damage to my washer or dryer. Just make sure you clean it off well before putting it in!

17. "Thank you, Tam Piggy love, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    608 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tam Piggy love View Post
    Then put it in the washing machine, using Woolite, and a little white vinegar.
    Adding vinegar to the wash reduces the sudsing capacity of your detergent. Use it in the rinse cycle to avoid it killing the cleaning power of your detergent. Perhaps you like to wash with Woolite, but that is an expensive way to clean piggy items. I use All Free-and-Clear (unscented) and it does a fine job.

19. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/134 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

Ditto spy9doc, I used to add the vinegar in with the detergent at the beginning of the cycle, and also noticed that it kills the suds. Now I add it when it gets to the rinse cycle.

21. "Thank you, lisa325, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

For what it's worth, I cloth diapered my kids so my washer has seen much worse than guinea pig hair. LOL

Seriously though, I'm still new to this but today I scooped off all the poops and easy to get hay pieces and the took the fleece outside and shook it like mad - all the rest of the hay came off. Then washed it all with no problems. I do have a standard non-fancy top loader which I think is much less fussy to deal with than the newer and greater front-loading machines but it seems to handle the guinea pig bedding just fine. Time will tell but I feel like if I can manage cleaning cloth diapers, I can manage guinea pig bedding and so can you! =)

Thanks
    Thanks
    98 Rec'd/58 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

I have home-made liners with the u-haul blanket sewn in, and I just wash them in the machine. I do try to shake/brush off as much hair/hay/poop as possible, but there is still usually some on them. I add in vinegar and detergent, then let it fill up with hot water, and then turn off the washer for a bit to let them soak. Sometimes I will do a second cycle if I feel like they need it (the liners are two-sided, so there is usually about 1-2 weeks of urine in the u-haul by the time I wash them). Although neither my husband or I am too weirded out about washing our clothes in the washer after the pig laundry, I did buy packets of washing machine cleaner and usually do a cleaning cycle between pig and human laundry--just to be safe. However, I am now curious about the pet/horse bedding bags people are mentioning.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,333 Rec'd/5,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

They'll get cleaner if you wait to put the vinegar in during the rinse cycle.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I wash my piggies fleece by hand with a mixture liquid soap and vinegar. then I let it dry out doors. I used to put it in the dryer...but the hairs would get stuck in the thingy that captures the lint and it would be a mess. So I just wash mine by hand in my bathroom sink (you could use a large bucket though) and let it dry outside on my clothes line

Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I have a silky and a peruvian so hair is something I have learned to deal with and lots of it. I did try the laundry bags but they always opened during wash so thanks @bpatters for the scrunchy tip, I will try it.

What works WONDERS for me is the squeegee! Follow this link and you'll understand and even see a video

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...ir-from-Fleece

It works on any size fleece, plain fleece, liners, cushions, cozys... and i really really works. Just remember to use short strokes.

User Tag List