Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Bonded boars just adopted constant chattering

KingB408

Cavy Slave
Hi there, I'm a new owner. My daughter and i just adopted two boars, Flynn and Danny, both 1 year and 6 months old, from the humane society last week that were already bonded, but i believe came from a hoarding situation. I have a 4*3 C&C cage.

Flynn is ALWAYS chattering and rumble strutting at Danny. For no reason. They walk by each other and Flynn thinks they're going to get into a fight. They've nipped at each other once or twice, once drawing fur, but no full fights or injuries. But it's constant. Every 5 minutes I hear Flynn chattering. To be honest, Danny provokes it sometimes by not leaving him alone. But he's being friendly. He was even popcorning the other day and Flynn thought he wanted to fight. Thoughts? Again, I'm a new owner. Is this normal male behavior?

Thank you for your time!

Justin

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
It's semi-normal. Squabbling is normal, it sounds like a bit more than usual, but not anything serious. It might just be because they're in a new place, and Flynn wants to make sure Danny knows he's still in charge, since his smell isn't everywhere yet. Don't separate them unless blood is drawn, things will probably calm down eventually.
Also, if you have any hideys that only have one entrance/exit, take those out, because they'll give Flynn an opportunity to trap Danny and that could lead to injury for either pig. And if you don't already, make sure you have two of everything, water bottles, food dishes, etc. so they don't have to squabble over those. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KingB408

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the response.

Yes, there's two of everything, and I took the pigloos out so they couldn't get trapped. I've tried to follow all the directions, however it's still happening, so I wanted to get some assurance. I got them last Sunday, so it hasn't even been a full week... Just concerned so my daughter doesn't get too attached if i need to do anything.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
You're welcome! Also I forgot to say, you can replace the pigloos with upside-down boxes with holes cut in them, or drape fleece over some of the cage, for now. : ) Hope they settle in and settle down soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

KingB408

Cavy Slave
You're welcome! Also I forgot to say, you can replace the pigloos with upside-down boxes with holes cut in them, or drape fleece over some of the cage, for now. : ) Hope they settle in and settle down soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've done exactly that with the boxes!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

KingB408

Cavy Slave
It's normal. A change of cage can upset even the most well-bonded pair.

But do throw out any hideys with only one door, or cut another door in them. You don't want any place or thing in the cage where one pig can trap another.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!
Thanks for the links... I'll definitely read up on them. I'm glad I'm getting the assurances i was looking for. Whew! [emoji2]

KingB408

Cavy Slave
So they've been doing alright, more of the same as I explained before. However tonight they were especially ornery with each other. They literally couldn't go 5 minutes without tracking the other down and harassing.

This eventually progressed into nips, chasing around the cage, until finally Danny lunged at Flynn. This was after at least a full hour of escalation, if not for the whole evening.

So I separated them. I put some grids smack in the middle of the cage, lined it with cloroplast because Flynn was trying to eat the cage and going beserk.

I've read up on some bonding techniques, giving them a bath and cleaning the cage, etc. But I'm at my wits end. I've watched so many videos of other piggies interacting, and mine are SO hostile to each other. They can't walk past each other without chattering and strutting.

I adopted them from the humane society. I know "all transactions are final," so I'm not looking for a refund...But do I have any recourse? I purchased two pigs that were supposed to be bonded, and it's been almost two weeks and things are only escalating.

I'm concerned for their safety, of course, but I'm also concerned because I don't think it's supposed to be like this. I'm seriously stressing out every day every time I hear chattering and growling, which is all the time.

OK, rant over.

Thoughts? Advice? Ideas?

Thanks again. :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They're in the big middle of puberty. They're going to squabble.

You'll just have to put up with chasing and nipping and mounting and rumbling. But what do you mean by "lunging?" Generally speaking, that's when two pigs are facing off for a fight, standing on hind legs, and both pigs are doing it. If one is just chasing the other, it's not so much to worry about.

My guess is that if you make sure there's no place in the cage where one pig can trap another and that there's not too much cage furniture in there, they'll be fine. Just let them be. They'll work it out.

KingB408

Cavy Slave
They're in the big middle of puberty. They're going to squabble.

You'll just have to put up with chasing and nipping and mounting and rumbling. But what do you mean by "lunging?" Generally speaking, that's when two pigs are facing off for a fight, standing on hind legs, and both pigs are doing it. If one is just chasing the other, it's not so much to worry about.

My guess is that if you make sure there's no place in the cage where one pig can trap another and that there's not too much cage furniture in there, they'll be fine. Just let them be. They'll work it out.
By lunging, I mean that Flynn turned and started walking away and Danny lunged out and tried to bite him.

Everything I keep reading is pointing to them about to fight. They get in each other's faces, their fur stands up, chattering, strutting, etc. Since everything was escalating yesterday, I got concerned for their safety. I understand what you're saying, however I'm a little uneasy letting them work it out, when everything I'm reading is saying to separate them because they're about to fight.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
But they haven't fought yet, right? The rule is, don't separate unless you see bloodshed, and a tiny bit of blood where hair has been pulled out doesn't count.

I still say let them alone to work it out.

KingB408

Cavy Slave
But they haven't fought yet, right? The rule is, don't separate unless you see bloodshed, and a tiny bit of blood where hair has been pulled out doesn't count.

I still say let them alone to work it out.
Yes, you are correct in that they haven't full on brawled yet.

OK, fair enough. I'm going to get them some breakfast and then take them out for some floor time and see how they do.

Thanks for your patience. Wish me luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.