Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Bedding Suggestions?

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
Currently my pigs are on fleece but for spring break when a pet sitter will be watching after them I will be switching to bedding to make it easier on her.

I figured I would switch a week before I leave so they have a chance to get adjusted to it, but I'm not sure which bedding I should be using since I have never had them on bedding before. I could check with the rescue I got Saphron from a week ago to see what kind they use but I figures instead I should ask here first.

I suppose I will figure it out during the week before but any suggestions on bedding care and cleaning would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Lots :)

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Aspen shavings are a safe alternative and shouldn't cost too much.

Carefresh would be another option but it costs a fortune to fill up a good sized cage.

urofan

Cavy Slave
I am using Kaytee Clean And Cozy White Paper Bedding. I had a guinea pig named Ginger and i was told to use Aspen Shavings by someone who worked at Petsmart and my guinea pig got sick with an upper respiratory infection and died. I tried giving my guinea pig Baytril but she still died from the upper respiratory infection.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I use Carefresh, I find everything else is either too dusty or doesn't control odor well, since it's very hard to thoroughly spot-clean when you're using bedding. It is absolutely the biggest expense related to my pigs, though. If it's only going to be for a little while for the duration of the pet-sitting, though it might not be too bad- it's when you're me, and buying a large package every week for years and years, that it really adds up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I am using Kaytee Clean And Cozy White Paper Bedding. I had a guinea pig named Ginger and i was told to use Aspen Shavings by someone who worked at Petsmart and my guinea pig got sick with an upper respiratory infection and died. I tried giving my guinea pig Baytril but she still died from the upper respiratory infection.

If it's any comfort, if you got your guinea pig from Petsmart, she was almost definitely sick already. Aspen shavings can cause sneezing from dust, and they can be a little smelly, but they don't cause URIs. If you took her to the vet and gave her the Baytril, you did the right thing and her death wasn't on you. (If she was a pet store pig, she would have died without someone there for her, which is much worse in my opinion. At least you cared for her.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I use pine mini flakes that I get from a feed store. They are kiln dried and a 40lb bag is $7.00. Anything kiln dried will be pretty safe, what I like about the mini flakes is its small pieces of the wood, not large chunks.

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss! The workers at chain pet stores frustrate me soo much!! Honestly if you don't even know how to care for what you're selling don't sell it!

rk1629

Cavy Gazer
Thanks for the suggests, can you please suggest the affordable one?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.