Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Poop Issue (It comes out in two "perfect" pieces ...)

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I've wondered about "Interstitial Cystitis" and I have skimmed those posts ... I will re-read asap.

My guinea pig started being "gassy" back in November. I found out my mother's cancer was terminal so I wasn't able to take him to the vet until January. I guess I just feel like if I was dealing with an infection, he would be dead by now. Am I wrong in assuming that?

I'm not sure if his "flare-ups" indicate "Interstitial Cystitis". I think we might be spending too much time focusing on his bladder. He wheeks when he poops too. And he is gassy. Doesn't gas come from his bowels/intestines, not his bladder? Sorry, It's been a long time since I took a human biology class. I feel so stupid!

It could also be so many other things too. He does go through periods where he seems perfectly fine. My vet mentioned his kidneys as a possibility, Irritated Bowel Syndrome, and even "polyps". Basically, she couldn't name all the possibilities ...

What would a blood test indicate? Issues with his kidneys? Would a blood test be worthwhile?

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I believe that you are misinformed about Metronidazole (aka Flagyl). It is NOT an antibiotic and will do little to nothing for a bacterial infection. Metronidazole is an anti-fungal that is prescribed for a yeast infection.......both in cavies and humans. I have NO idea why any Vet would prescribe it for a UTI. It is prescribed for cavies when there is suspected yeast in the g.i. tract.

@ Spy9Doc,
Thank - you for your feedback. I just wanted to clarify something. Blood was found in my guinea pig's urinalysis. That does not automatically mean that he has a Urinary Tract Infection. As BPatters said, "Blood in the urine can be because the bladder is irritated from the sludge, or irritated from an infection, or it can originate higher in the intestinal tract." I just thought it was important to emphasize that point.
@bpatters,
If the blood originates "higher in the intestinal tract", what does that indicate?

- Wendy

JocelynsGoobies

Cavy Slave
Hi sorry this has nothing to do with the conversation you guys are having but I'm a newbie and I forgot how to make a forum... I'm on my phone not on a pc btw. Can someone tell me how to make one please?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pick a forum you want to post in and click the "new thread" button.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@spy9doc, I try never to give confusing information. What's incorrect about my statement about bacteria and urine?

JocelynsGoobies

Cavy Slave
How do I pick a forum? I've been looking everywhere and I have no idea where the new thread button is

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
My vet took two x-rays of my guinea pig. Would my vet be able to see an ear infection on those x-rays? I'm not sure how much of Funky they could see on those x-rays. For approx. one week, I've noticed that Funky's head is slightly turned/crooked/ "tilted". He also prefers the right side because when I pick him up, he always turns to the right. My vet noticed it too but she said if he had an ear infection he wouldn't be able to turn back to normal.

Could this indicate an ear infection or tooth problem? Does he need x-rays of his teeth taken?

Observation: Of all my guinea pigs, he chews on paper and boxes the least. I always wondered about that but have never mentioned it to my vet.

I read that "head tilt" can indicate neurological problems.
I think I need to stop reading ... :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, they can't see ear infections on x-rays.

It would probably help if you stop reading...

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I'm very aware of that and certainly respect your knowledge. But I do think that this statement was unclear and was obviously misinterpreted:"Blood in the urine can be because the bladder is irritated from the sludge, or irritate from an infection, or it can originate higher in the intestinal tract." I knew what you meant, but the OP apparently found it confusing.

Am I the OP? What is an OP? Originator of the post? I understood BPatters perfectly. She has been extremely kind and informative. :)
To be honesty, Spy9Doc, I think you are overreacting and being rather rude for absolutely no reason. We are all here to share knowledge and learn from one another. No need for attitude. :)

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hi,

Thank - you Spy9Doc for this quote:
Blood in the urinary system will show up in urine. Blood in the g.i. (gastrointestinal) system will show up in feces. That generally is from an ulcer or tumor somewhere in the small or large intestine. Blood from higher up in the urinary system could be a stone or other pathology in the kidneys or ureters. It is possible, but not very common in cavies to my knowledge. Blood in their urine generally comes from bladder irritation or from a stone in the urethra.

My guinea pig had an x-ray done and no stone was found. Would a stone cause my guinea pig to be so gassy? My understanding was that sand irritated his bladder. I assume that is why there was blood in his urine. I just found that to be surprising because his most recent urinalysis showed less sand than before. However, in the past, when there was more sand, there was no blood. That makes me wonder if the blood isn't coming from higher up in the urinary system.

Interesting bit of info: Both of my guinea pigs had an "antibiotic resistant" infection a couple of years ago. My other guinea pig died of kidney disease. What if my current guinea's pigs kidneys were also damaged by the same infection? Just a theory.

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
No, they can't see ear infections on x-rays.

I'm concerned about his head-tilt. However, he seems to be able to eat perfectly. He isn't drooling or anything. So, I don't think there is anything wrong with his teeth.

What are other symptoms of an ear infection?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@spy9doc isn't being in the least rude, @Helena29. She's a physician, and if I'm saying something wrong, I certainly want to hear it from her. Which is why I asked her directly, so I could clear things up if needed.

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Thank you. Sitting here biting tongue and keeping hands away from the keyboard.

Spy9Doc, you just proved my point. There is absolutely no need for snide remarks such as the one above. Are you trying to be funny? Well, that isn't funny. Your remark was completely unnecessary and is the complete opposite of "being polite". You walked yourself right into that one ...

SNIDE DEFINITION :
derogatory or mocking in an indirect way.
"snide remarks about my mother"
synonyms: disparaging, derogatory, deprecating, denigratory, insulting, contemptuous, dismissive; More

Everyone deserves respect. What did I do to you? Maybe you really should stop typing if you can't respond politely. I would greatly appreciate that. I am devastated that my pet is sick and I don't need any attitude from you. I respect the fact that you are a doctor. But the BEST doctors also have an excellent bedside manner. Be cognizant of that, please.

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Spy9Doc said: "Thank you. Sitting here biting tongue and keeping hands away from the keyboard."

That was directed at Helena, not BPatters.

Message received. I will not post anymore.

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I changed my mind. I have every right to ask questions ... I won't let one person's attitude prevent me from learning and helping my guinea pig.

BPatters stated, "Nothing in his bladder will affect the poop. They're not connected except that guinea pigs have a cloaca where both urine and feces are expelled." I had asked if a bladder stone can cause bloat ...

However, I was told that because my guinea pig had sand and blood, he was more susceptible to having an infection. Could the symptoms of that infection be gastric in nature (gas, constipation, smaller poop, stomach gurgling, etc.)?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
All of those symptoms point to a problem in the digestive tract. Except, guinea pigs are almost never constipated. The symptoms you describe are in no way indicative of a urinary tract infection. The only way in which they might possibly be related is if the pig is in enough pain from the urinary problems that it fails to eat enough, and then develops intestinal problems. Bladder stones don't cause bloat in and of themselves.

I thought the vet had seen bladder in the urine. That would indicate a urinary tract infection, not a digestive tract one. But it only indicates that if the vet withdrew the urine with a syringe, as otherwise, the urine is contaminated with the bacteria on the outside of the pig.

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
The only way in which they might possibly be related is if the pig is in enough pain from the urinary problems that it fails to eat enough, and then develops intestinal problems.

I've just been trying to determine if my guinea pig has one issue or two completely separate ones. And it seems as if he has two completely different ailments. I don't believe that my guinea pigs "sand" is directly causing him to be gassy. To be clear, what I were wondering was, if perhaps because he is "sick", he developed some "gastro" issues. I don't believe that to be the case. For example, whenever anything is wrong with me, I get a migraine. I had to have my wisdom teeth taken out, I had a migraine. I had step throat and also got a migraine. It's just how my body reacts to be "being sick". In any case, my guinea pig never stopped eating pellets. However, there was a significant reduction in the amount of hay he ate. Hay has lots of fiber so he probably wasn't getting enough fiber. Lastly, yes, my guinea-pig's most recent urinalysis did show blood. However, my vet did not suspect an infection.

My guinea pigs very first symptom was sand in his bladder. That was the reason he was first taken to the vet. However, he actually was treated for a "gastro" infection close to two years ago. Could that infection be back?

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I've re-read this thread and I suspect Spy9Doc may have had an excellent point. I am slowly making a "plan of action", and I am determining what I will do if my guinea pigs symptoms return or get worse after this course of treatment. The first step is asking my vet to put my guinea pig on a different/better antibiotic. I assume my vet prescribed the same medicine as before, because Funky did improve before. On the other hand, his symptoms returned so maybe we should be doing something differently this time. I remembered that the first vet who prescribed Metronidazole did indeed say that Funky's poop did look like he had an infection. However, Spy9Doc seemed to think Metronidazole would not help an infection. Unfortunately, whether or not he actually has an infection has not be concluded. I don't know how vets or doctors do this ... thinking about all the possibilities makes my head hurt.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.