Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rumblestrutting Random Spurts of Dominance?

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
So this past Saturday I adopted my lovely Saphron from the Portland Guinea Pig Rescue! Willow and her seem to get along great and are always by the others side.

They are my little cuddle bugs but I have been noticing Willow seems to get a spurt of aggression (not actually sure if its aggression?) out of no where! Its nothing to serious but I am a bit confused.

All will be well and they will be happily munching hay together and all of a sudden its like something has scared them and they both BOLT into the hidey together. At least that's what I thought was happening the first couple of times. When I was just watching them one day I realized its Willow chasing Saffy off!

There is no chattering or teeth baring or anything nasty before or after and its not even like either were doing something weird or potentially threatening and soon all seems to be at peace again.

Also I was wondering if anyone has any tips on a slightly territorial pig? Willow loves to cuddle with Saf but sometimes when shes in a hidey or outside one Willow just starts rumbling at her or chasing her off. Saphron is definitely the submissive pig and lets Willow know when she rumbles she wins.

I know rumbling is normal and everything I just feel bad that Willow occasionally kicks her out of her favorite hidey!

If it helps they have only been together for a couple days and are both the same age.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
That's strange. Seems like a love/hate relationship :D If I were you, I'd give it a few more days and see how it turns out. Maybe Willow just really likes reminding Saffy who's boss. Don't forget to weigh Saffy regularly to make sure she isn't losing any weight. Good luck!

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
It sounds like Willow is still establishing herself as the top pig, so just leave them together and make sure you have two of everything and all hideys have 2 exits. And weigh Saffy weekly to make sure that she isn't losing weight. Only separate if blood is drown. Things can take up to 2 weeks for them to settle down and be more peaceful between the two of them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It all sounds perfectly normal to me, and nothing at all to worry about unless you see outright fighting or Saphron is being harassed to the point that she can't eat.

And get rid of all the hideys that have only one door. Every hidey in a pig cage should have at least two doors so that no pig can get trapped, and can easily escape if it wants.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
All normal, what kind of hidies are you using? What kind of cage do you have? I use either bent grind tunnels(two to make it a big tunnel) or make awnings in the cage so there is always room to get away from the other pigs. 100_0715.jpg100_0832.jpgThe awning is attached to the grid on the other side of the coroplast and a c clamp to help hold it up and covered with fleece. The awning is made with bent grids too.

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
I use a willow tunnel or fleece tunnel, and a step stool from IKEA that has four entrances. They have a 2x4 c&c cage and we are in the process of building a much larger custom cage. I am also making a fleece forest to put in one of the corners :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.