Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Hay Seed Pods

Does anyone else feed their piggies/piggy hay seed pods as treats?? My piggy loves them. I feel like its better than giving fruits or veggies as treats because its hay. You don't want to overload on fruits and veggies. I purposely buy him the more expensive timothy hay with the seed pods in them. I didn't realize he liked them so much until I bought the more expensive stuff. I feel like this is the perfect treat for guinea pigs because I don't think you can give them too many. It's just a natural part of the hay, and a piggy can't really have too much hay, right? Seriously, does anyone else do this?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/24 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Re: Hay Seed Pods

My fiance and I call the "fuzzies", we give them as "treats" and our pigs love them!

Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/134 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

My guys love them to, but since I found out they're high in calcium I pick them out before feeding .

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,315 Rec'd/5,830 Posts
    Mentioned
    2041 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3904 Post(s)

They're fine to feed, but should be used as treats because they are high in calcium.

Thanks
    Thanks
    685 Rec'd/526 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Pooper used to absolutely LOVE fuzzies. Sly would also consider them a treat at one time, but now neither Sly or the babies pay them much attention at all.

Thanks
    Thanks
    156 Rec'd/122 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    They're fine to feed, but should be used as treats because they are high in calcium.
    This is the first time I've heard that, in all my reading and searches on low calcium diets. I just got a new batch of hay, with plenty of seed heads that they love. I'll limit the amount and start watching for calcium spots.

Thanks
    Thanks
    685 Rec'd/526 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PoopyPig View Post
    Does anyone else feed their piggies/piggy hay seed pods as treats?? My piggy loves them. I feel like its better than giving fruits or veggies as treats because its hay. You don't want to overload on fruits and veggies. I purposely buy him the more expensive timothy hay with the seed pods in them. I didn't realize he liked them so much until I bought the more expensive stuff. I feel like this is the perfect treat for guinea pigs because I don't think you can give them too many. It's just a natural part of the hay, and a piggy can't really have too much hay, right? Seriously, does anyone else do this?
    On a side note, just caught your user name. My best little buddy in the worlds' name was Pooper, and Poopy Pig was one of his nicknames. Gave me a smile.

User Tag List