Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Our Guinea Pigs Killed a Carpet Snake?

wilsonscreek

Cavy Gazer
is it possible? we have 2 guinea pigs that are going into their 5th year so have seen their share of carpet snakes around their cage. The rain forest we live in, as a large amount of carpet snakes, whip snakes, brown snakes etc, which we only relocate across our creek system to a large empty field. Over the past few months we have noticed a new smaller in size, (still 2 meters long but very skinny) carpet snake living in the bushes and rocks near our guinea pig cage. Yesterday when we came home, the snake had made it's way into the cage, through the only way we can see, a small mouse tunnel that had dug under to eat the corn, lettuce and seeds we feed them daily.I went in to lift out the snake, as the guinea pigs were happily eating away, to notice the snake was dead? we don't use poisons or anything like that around here, due to all of the birds, snakes, lizards etc, and from everything I can read about, it is always the other way round. has anyone else heard of this? we have had the odd mouse go into the cage, but they have been found in the same state as the snake.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think it's entirely reasonable to think the guinea pigs would recognize a snake as a threat and kill it.

Maplepig

Cavy Slave
No way. Guinea pigs do that?

kcake67

Cavy Slave
Would someone mind explaining a carpet snake to me? Is it like a garter snake? I'm from the U.S. so... is it an austrailia thing?

Last edited:

wilsonscreek

Cavy Gazer
Would someone mind explaining a carpet snake to me? Is it like a garter snake? I'm from the U.S. so... is it an austrailia thing?

a carpet snake, is a carpet python. They grow to 3 meters around our property, and whilst not venomous, they can swallow a whole chicken, dogs, cats etc which although our GP's are tubby, no where near as large as our other pets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morelia_spilota

They kill their prey by constricting, but it appears our GP's have bitten into the neck of it, as I saw damage to this area, and it has died.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs, mice, budgies (parakeets) and other small domestic animals are known to fight in self defense or in defense of their "family"
i had one parakeet straight up murder his companion for no apparent reason, and I've heard of rabbits killing large snakes before, so I'm not too surprised.
Not for the queasy: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/angry-rabbit-gets-revenge-snake-5933520

Id just make sure your pigs weren't hurt in the ordeal, and take them to the vet if they begin acting strange.

PiggieLifexoxo

Cavy Slave
+1 point for the guinea pigs ��

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.