Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Worried About Teeth

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
Within the last couple of days my piggy Juniper has been struggling with eating her peppers.

She is also having very soft and watery poops. I tried to give her a half of oxbows urinary support tabs because she had a small amount of bladder sludge (cleared up by now) she seemed like she wanted to eat it but refused it.Out of curiosity I gave the other half to my other pig and she ate it just fine. I'm not sure if these issues are due to her teeth or another underlying health condition.

I am going to schedule a vet appointment tomorrow and probably feed her some critical care tonight.This morning I cut her peppers and some celery into tiny pieces but still no luck, however she did eat one piece of celery.

If anyone has any ideas on what might be causing this or any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Poor baby. Tooth issues are hard to find the cause of, a lot of the time they just kind of happen. If she hasn't gotten enough hay or been eating her hay, that would cause it, but with how conscientious an owner you are that seems unlikely.

Sometimes guinea pig teeth just get messed up, just like human teeth. Hopefully the vet will be able to tell you more. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If she's having trouble eating, cutting things into tiny pieces only makes it worse. Cut stuff into long matchstick-sized pieces and gently push them into mouth all the way to her back teeth. If you can get them that far back, she can probably eat them.

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
So things have been weird with Juniper... She started eating everything normally and then some for about 2 days. She didn't each breakfast but she ate dinner today?

Trying to figure out what could be wrong and if its a simple solution or a vet trip :( Normally I would take her in right away but since I am still a teen and have recently injured myself I cant work for money right now.

Obviously if she needs medical care I can provide it to her but I don't want to waste over 100 and probably more for diagnostics. We are also switching vets so that's an added cost for her initial exam. If anyone has suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I don't have any specific advice other than to continue watching her and weighing her, but I do want to say- money spent on diagnostics is not wasted, even if they don't find anything. Every negative test is a guarantee that your guinea pig doesn't have a specific problem, and gives you less to worry about while also narrowing down the possible answers. I understand you'd rather spend money on something that'd fix the problem and that diagnostics can be expensive, but that doesn't make them a waste. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.