Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick URI, Wobbles, Blue Eyes

PurplishBlue

Cavy Slave
Around Christmas, I noticed that my Guinea pig had a cloudy, blue eye. When I took her to the vet, they told me that she had a URI and a serious ulcer in her eye. They gave me some antibiotics and said that if it doesn't get better they can remove the eye. It's been 4 weeks, and now her other eye developed into a cloudy blue as well. She hasn't stopped eating, but she obsessively drinks water. Recently, I noticed that she tends to wobble and fall over. Maybe that's cause she's just blind in both eyes now? The vet I take her isn't too experienced with small animals but it's the only place remotely near me that accepts them. Since the vet isn't too experienced, I was wondering if my Guinea pig has something else troubling her and if the eyes will have to be removed. The vet did warn me that the surgery might be fatal, so I'm hoping that such a move won't be needed.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What you need is a new vet. Where do you live (city/state, not your address)? We might be able to help you find one.

Small animal (dog and cat) vets are not educated/trained to treat exotics, and the responsible ones will refuse to do so.

PurplishBlue

Cavy Slave
Falmouth, KY. Yeah, my vet said she was trying to encourage more Guinea pigs but she gets rabbits more than anything else.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Your best bet is probably the Cincinnati area. You're only about 35 miles from there. I have to go 30 miles to get to one, and I'm in the city of Houston.

Google exotic vets in that area. Go to the websites of the clinics and read the staff biographies for the vets. You're looking for certification (preferably) and/or experience in the care of pocket pets.

PurplishBlue

Cavy Slave
I was afraid that that'd be the case, Cincinnati isn't a trip I like making but she does need better help. I'll start checking vets out tonight, thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.