Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Barely eaten any veggies? How do I change that safely?

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
I have a question about a pig I will be adopting soon.

She comes from a rescue (the only one even remotely near me and its still around 3 hours away!) where they only feed them 1/4 a cup of just lettuce and cilantro a day.

They try to tell people if you feed than anything else they will die even though I know that's not true.
However I am a bit nervous because I have never had to figure out how to adjust a pig to tons more food! Is there anything I should be doing?

I was going to separate her from her cage mate during food time and very slowly give her more and more veggies (just what she has had before) and once she is eating enough slowly introducing other veggies?

While she is eating the bare minimum I will be giving her oxbow vitamin c tabs to keep her as healthy as possible (she has had a different kind of vitamin c supplement at the rescue)

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! Just want to make sure I'm doing my best for my (future) baby!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Are you planning to do quarantine?

If so, you can just add one food every three to four days and see if she'll eat it. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/105287-How-to-teach-a-guinea-pig-to-eat-vegetables.

If you think she's healthy and you're going to do introductions immediately, just put in there and let her eat. She'll learn quickly, and the best food is always in the other pig's mouth.

And suggest to that rescue that they learn something about guinea pig nutrition. AFTER you get the pig, of course. That's a ridiculous assertion.

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
They apparently have some big piggy doctor that informs them on this.I tried to adopt last year but they wouldn't let me because in the adoption application I told them my pigs diet.

This year I have learned to just say I do if it will benefit my piggies positively.

I don't plan on doing a quarantine because they want to introduce at the adoption meeting to make sure they get along.

Should I be worried about her eating to much to quickly? Can this in any way negatively affect her?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I doubt it will bother her. She may have soft stools for a little while, but if she's been getting some veggies, it won't be much of a shock to her system. Just keep an eye on her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.