Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Bathing Tips for a Jumpy Piggy?

ZebraKisses

Cavy Slave
Hi!
I have a long haired female piggy named Flurry. Its time for her 6 month old bath! One thing I have noticed about her is that she is super jumpy when you touch her, especially around the bum area! I know its natural, but even wrapping her up in a towel to brush her bum area is a nightmare. I usually try to distract her with treats, but it really doesnt work. She is really dirty around the bum area, and I'm not sure how I should bathe her? I already got shampoo, i just need tips on how to bathe her quick and easy.
Need to know soon, thanks!:)
(Fyi, last time i brushed her bum, she tried scratching, biting, and running off!)

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Try to pick her up by shooing her into a hidey. When she's in it, quickly but gently lift the hidey up. To prevent injuries, it would be best to bathe her in a tub. You wouldn't want to risk her jumping out and hurting herself if you were to bathe her in the sink. My Kasper is also very jumpy/skittish. Whenever I give him a bath, he always tries to jump out, which is why I decided to bathe my pigs in the bathtub. That way, if Flurry decides to jump, she won't be able to get out. Make sure you only fill the bathtub with 1-2 in. of lukewarm water. Don't get any water or soap in her eyes, mouth or ears. If she has a cagemate, give them both a bath together. It'll be less stressful for Flurry and it'll be a good bonding experience for them. Good luck :)

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I'd try to keep her bum trimmed short in the future so she doesn't need to be bathed and brushed as often. If she's too jumpy for scissors to go near her, I'd recommend buying a buzzer like barbers use.

ZebraKisses

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! Great tips :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.