Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Taking them to college

George Gurgis

Cavy Gazer
Hello,

So I am going to be bringing my pigs with me to college as they are going to serve as my emotional support animals. However the problem is the drive is about 6ish hours for me and I was wondering how my guinea pigs would fare? They are both iffy when they are close to each other for too long so I decided to get two separate carriers. I am putting the baby in a small mammal carrier I got at petco, while Olivia, the larger one, is going into a small/medium cat carrier. I am putting down fleece and hay for both of them and weewee pads underneath. I am packing veggies including green leaf lettuce and cucumber for the road since they are higher in water content. Just curious to everyones opinions on how they will be.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They'll be fine. Just don't put them in direct sun in the car, and offer water whenever you stop.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Also buckle in the carriers if possible to minimize rocking and for safety.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2cocos

Cavy Slave
We just did 12 hours twice with ours over the holidays and they were together in a cat carrier. But they are two mild-mannered girls, and still small at 6 months old, so they were fine.

I used a cat litter box tray inside the cage, since they pee a lot when they are stressed and the pee overflowed a bit despite the pad and towel on a previous shorter trip. This worked out really great. I lucked out that the tray was a perfect fit inside the cage. I would bring extra towels/pads and plastic bags for laundry in case they wet their cage badly along the way.

I brought twice the amount of veggies they normally get as treats, which helped calm them down if they ever got agitated. Also, gave them extra cucumber since they were not drinking very much.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Ditto the above. I took Tribble to Knoxville (2+ hr trip) several times in his life for matchmaking at a rescue and for an emergency visit to the vet school, and he was totally relaxed every time. As long as you plan it out accordingly, pigs do a lot better for car rides than most people expect.

brookiehcookie

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs went on a two day trip with 10 hour car rides each day when I moved across the country. For travel, I wanted them to be able to move around so I got a guinea pig cage from the pet store that had a hard bottom and metal sides so they could see what was going on. I gave them hay, water, lettuce, and their usual fleece bedding as well as lots of hideys. I made sure the AC was pointed towards them. I made sure the cage didn't move around to much by using the seat buckles to secure it. If you have the space, I would highly suggest doing this sort of setup. My guinea pigs were very comfortable and did not stress at all as they had separate hideys and plenty of space to move around in until we got them back to their 11.5 square feet home. When we finally got there, the first thing I did was setup their cage and move them into it. They went back about their business as if nothing had ever happened. If you have ~ 2 seats free in the back seat of your car I would recommend getting a cage big enough for the two of them for the trip so that they don't feel too separated in case they do get stressed.

TearLily

Cavy Slave
I have taken mine on 6-7 hour trips and usually had them in cage that fit backseat. I give them a decent fleece covered area to make them feel safer. I brought veggies and food and water and hay but they didnt eat much on trip till we got there and didnt move. I would separate toys and things that move a lot when you are driving to keep them safe.

I have 2 sets of keys for my car which really helps with being able to keep ac running and be able to lock my car to go to bathroom or get snacks in gas station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.