Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Advice on Bullying and Where to Draw the Line

Sammi Lynn

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

I have three pigs, Pearl (1.5 years), Oreo (1.75 years), and Nilla Wafer (9 months).

All three seem to get along well. They share their food and don't fight and play together. BUT, there is some bullying. Despite being the biggest, Pearl keeps getting little scabs on her back from one of the other two (not sure which because I never see it happen).

They were in a 2x3.5 cage for a while, which I know is better for just two pigs (Oreo was pregnant when she was sold to me, without me knowing, hence now I have three). So I upgraded to a 2x4 cage with a wide loft. I thought maybe with extra space, the bullying would stop but it hasn't.

Any advice on how to make this stop short of actually seperating them? Pearl seems like a happy pig, so if I can't make the scabs stop appearing, do I just let it be, or should I try to find a new home for her so she doesn't have to be around the other two, one of whom is making the scabs happen? Like I said, besides the reappearing scabs, they all seem happy. Lots of popcorning and happy noises always coming from their cage, though sometimes they try to push each other out of the hidey holes (they don't like to share).

Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A 2x4 with a loft isn't large enough for tree pigs. You'd be better off dismantling the loft and using it to extend the bottom layer of the cgae.

Also, take most of the furniture out, and make sure that every hidey has at least two doors. You can replace stuff with fleece forests, and that will give them more room.

Are you sure it's the result of another pig nipping or scratching her, and she's not scratching herself.

Sammi Lynn

Cavy Slave
I have no way of knowing 100% if the scabs are actually from the other pigs, but they look like bad enough scabs that that's my guess, rather than it being from her, though I don't actually know. I watch them a lot and never see them biting or her scratching.

The guineapigcages website says 2x4 is minimum for three pigs. I know more is ideal but I absolutely do NOT have room for a cage that's any bigger. I didn't intend on having more than two, but I was sold a pregnant one without my knowing and loved the longed-hair baby and decided to keep her (I found a new home for the other two babies.). Do you think not having room for more than 2x4 plus signs of bullying warrants finding a new home for one of them? The scabs are the only indication I have of bullying, though. Otherwise they all seem to get along fine.

They don't have much furniture other than wood hidey holes and a little tunnel. I will look into switching from wood hidey holes to fleece forests. You're right, that would give them more space.

pouty

Cavy Slave
Have you seen them fighting??? It's really obvious when pigs aren't getting along. Scabs wouldn't be the only sign.

If it's just scabs and no fighting, then pearl might be sick

Sammi Lynn

Cavy Slave
Sick how? There's only ever the one small scab in the same place on her back. I assumed one of the others were nipping at her now and then even though they mostly get along. I understand that if she had scabs all over it could be a sign of a skin thing, but just in the one small spot? When I mentioned it to my vet, she seemed to think it was a bullying thing. What could it be possibly be an indication of health-wise?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Have you tried treating the spot? If it itches and she scratches the scab off before the underlying condition is healed, she may just be reinjuring it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.