Thread: Chauncey: reintro to other pigs?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Chauncey: reintro to other pigs?

One of my pigs passed away quite suddenly last week from uri and we took his cagemate Chauncey into the vet right away. Vet said he had it mildly in the throat and sinuses but it hadnt moved to his lungs. He'll finish his course if antibiotics tomorrow and I would like to introduce him to my lone skinny male to see if they get along and can live together.
    He's been active and eating through the entire treatment and the only visual symptom he showed was a little tannish stuff around the nostrils the morning he went to the vet.
    Is he going to have to wait it out and be alone for a few weeks or should he be good after he's done his meds?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/17 Posts

Re: Chauncey: reintro to other pigs?

Has he gained all his weight back? Has he stopped coughing and sneezing? No runny nose? Active and noisy? Gets excited when you give him fresh food? If he seems good as new, I'd give him and the cage a nice cleaning and introduce your skinny pig to him when the treatment is complete.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Yes his weight barely fluctuated, no sneezing coughing or running nose. very active running around , pop corning, eating and yelling whenever he hears sounds that might mean fresh food.

Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

You'll have to do full reintroductions again. You can't just put them back together in the cage. See http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

These two have not been living together at all. I am going to wait for the weekend to come back around so that I have plenty of time to supervise them in the bathroom
    The skinny is alone because his roommate only wanted to fight and Chauncey lost his brother so im hoping they'll get along okay

User Tag List