Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Question My guinea pig bites his nails?!

I've noticed that one of my Guinea pigs chews his nails when he's doing his grooming routine.. He actually chews them and he does so almost down to the quick, which is really scaring me! He used to only do it on one foot but now he's done it to at least one nail on each foot.
    I trim his nails every 2-3 weeks or as needed, so it's not an issue with them being overgrown. I've tried to look up the issue and it doesn't seem anyone is experiencing it! Well at least the chewing down to the quick part. Does anyone know why he could be doing this?!
    T.I.A

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    201 Rec'd/188 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    128 Post(s)

Re: My guinea pig bites his nails?!

I've seen pigs bite their nails before, but never that intensely. If he isn't drawing any blood, it's possible he's just learned how to trim his own nails and prefers them very short- I did once hear of a dog who would bite her own nails short regardless of the owner's trimming.

It's also possible it's a stress thing, though- lots of animals (including some humans!) bite at their nails when anxious. Have any new stressors been introduced lately/has anything changed?

As long as he isn't drawing blood, I wouldn't worry about it as a behavior, I'd just check to make sure it's not a symptom of some other problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: My guinea pig bites his nails?!

Quote Originally Posted by jaycriae View Post
    It's also possible it's a stress thing, though- lots of animals (including some humans!) bite at their nails when anxious. Have any new stressors been introduced lately/has anything changed?

As long as he isn't drawing blood, I wouldn't worry about it as a behavior, I'd just check to make sure it's not a symptom of some other problem.
    There isn't any stressors that I can't of..! He and his cage mate get along great, they have plenty of cage space, nothing has changed in his environment, he's just been treated for mites. Not sure what it could be!
    He wasn't my guinea pig his whole life though, he's five and he's been mine for only a year- his previous owners had neglected him and hadn't cut his nails in god knows how long (they were very long and curling inwards, crusted with crap). I had a theory that he's had long nails for so long and now that he knows what short nails feel like, he likes it better that way :P
    No blood yet, but I'm scared it gets to that point! Like I had said he chews them down to the quick :/ silly boy is getting me worried.

User Tag List