Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Iceberg lettuce

lwpiggy

Cavy Slave
My piggies always get a selection of 3 or 4 veggies at meal times, one of these is always a leaf veggie and it is nearly always lettuce. They also get a mix of other veggies like peppers, carrots, celery, spinach and parsley to name a few. Because these other veggies provide them with the vitamins they need is ok to also give them iceberg lettuce at the same time instead other types of lettuce they usually get? I wouldn't feed them iceberg all the time but sometimes the lettuce selection at the supermarket is limited.

miniver

Cavy Slave
Iceberg lettuce is mostly water and has low nutritional value for guinea pigs. No lettuce is better than iceberg lettuce if you can't get green or red leaf.
Give them a bit more pepper on the days you can't get lettuce.

Just a note - spinach and parsley are high in calcium and should not be fed daily.

You might also try giving them romaine lettuce but watch for excess calcium in their urine. Some pigs have problems with it but many are fine and love romaine.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Iceberg lettuce is useless for people and animals. I'd skip it altogether in favor of something else.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.