Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Question about alfalfa hay and pellets

Emiandcalismum

Cavy Gazer
My piggy is est 10 weeks... i know she needs alfalfa in her diet. If i give her alfalfa pellets should i give her alfalfa hay too? And if i give her alfalfa hay should i mix it with timothy hay? Right now shes on Oxbow Essentials Young Ginea Pig food (read that was one of the best to give her) and timothy hay.

And even tho this post isn't about it, yes shes the only one right now, yes I'm going to get her a friend the shelter only had her and no other shelter or rescue within a 2hr radius has any females right now. I have a rescue trying to help me locate one.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
She doesn't strictly need alfalfa in her diet, just extra calcium for her growing bones. Alfalfa hay OR alfalfa pellets is one way to give it to them, alternatively giving high calcium vegetables also works.

If you are giving her Oxbow essential young guinea pig pellets then that is all she needs as far as extra calcium is concerned, giving her alfalfa hay in addition to the pellets is unnecessary.

To answer your other question, you do still need to give grass hay when giving alfalfa hay at a ratio of roughly 70% grass hay to 30% alfalfa hay. This is because a legume hay, which is what alfalfa hay is, does nothing for their teeth so they still need the silica from a grass hay to keep their teeth ground down and healthy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.