Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Correct Doxycycline Dosage???

sarcam

Cavy Gazer
My guinea pig recently developed symptoms of a URI and I took him to a veterinarian who confirmed my suspicions. She then prescribed him with doxycycline, which she said to give 0.02 mL two times per day. I've researched into the relationship between antibiotics and guinea pigs and I have also seen discrepancies between veterinarians and experienced guinea pig owners/experts on the correct doses for certain antibiotics. My goal is not to insult my vet's knowledge- I just want to make sure I am giving him the correct dosage so other complications do not arise. I would feel awful if I found out that I was harming rather than helping my guinea pig. Please help! Much thanks and love.

Doxycycline 50mg/ml
0.02 cc / 2 times per day for 1 week
1375 gram pig, male

sarcam

Cavy Gazer
Thank you very much. Should he be on a probiotic as well? I've read that doxy isn't as hard on the gut as other meds but he is 4 months old.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.