Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lethargy Passed away suddenly. what do do for other pigs!?!?!

SharkStars

Cavy Slave
Argo passed away very suddenly this morning, he was fine yesterday and this morning he was very lethargic, crusty eyes, labored breathing, could barely stand. He passed on the way to the vet. He lived with his brother so im stripping the cage and disinfecting now. any advice greatly appreciated. my exotics vet ended up being out of town and one that the clinic refereed me to told me it was already to late for autopsy!?
he was only about 8 months old

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
A good cleaning is it and just weigh him daily if you have a scale. Check for nose discharge, labored breathing. Just keep as best as an eye on him as possible.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It sounds like a rapid onset URI, but I'm not a vet. The best advice I can give you is to clean everything, and monitor your remaining piggie. If you don't have a good quality digital kitchen scale, please get one. It's the absolute best way to determine if your pig is ill. If it was a fast moving URI, constant monitoring of the remaining pig will be essential. Try and get him in to the vet as soon as you can just to get checked.

I am very sorry for your loss of Argo. Obviously you love your pigs, as you had him on the way to the vet as soon as you saw he was ill. Hopefully the remaining one is ok. Rest in peace, Argo.

SharkStars

Cavy Slave
Thank you. His brother Chauncey has an appointment in about an hour. Unfortunately my regular exotics vet is out until Monday but the clinic recommended us another nearby so hopefully he'll be good. I do notice a little wet brownish stuff in Chauncey's nostrils but he's still very active and eating so here's hoping he'll be okay

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If he's still active and eating that's the best news so far. Please keep us posted on how hes doing. Sly, Punkin and Scooter send their wheeks of support!

pouty

Cavy Slave
Agree with guinea pig papa. It very much sounds like a URI, and if his cage mate has a runny nose then the vet will surely send him home with antibiotics. I'm so sorry for your loss, but rest assure that you did everything a guinea pig parent should do and if your other piggy is sick as well, you caught it early and he is going to get the treatment he needs. Good luck to you and your baby.

SharkStars

Cavy Slave
He went to the vet and does indeed have a cold but the vet could not hear anything in the lungs said at the moment it's just in his sinuses and throat, he's to get an antibiotic twice a day and a probiotic in between doses for ten days with a midpoint check in to make sure it's working.
Right now he is active and hungry

My other two pigs in a nearby cage look good so far clear noses and eyes but I'm keeping a close eye and the vet will give me dosages for them if they show any signs of being infected.
it's been a very hard day :c

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thanks for having the courage to let us know what's happening with Chauncey. I know it's been a hard day, and I'm so glad you took the time to look after your other babies through your grief. I can tell you feel about your little babies just in how you post about them. As much as losing Argo hurts, they need you more right now, and what I've seen tells me you're doing all the right things. Argo would be happy too, I'm sure. My best friend Poopy would have met him at the Rainbow Bridge, and now Argo has a whole bunch of new friends to play with until it's time for you to come and get him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.