Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I'm not sure how to feel (long read i'm sorry)

pouty

Cavy Slave
I have so many mixed emotions and I want to share this with people who care about guinea pigs.

Back in July, I found out there was an abandoned guinea pig in a forest reservation an hour from my house. I went the next morning in hopes of finding it. It took me five hours, and I got poison ivy and two thorns in my thigh, but I found the cutest baby boy and named him Oliver. We discovered a second, very similar looking guinea pig. I could not catch him myself, so I called a guinea pig rescue and they caught him and took him in.

Oliver was so good, and cute and unique looking. He had a swoosh over his eye, and a long strand of hair on his lower back that fluffed up and looked like a tail.

My other piggies were female, and I wanted him to join the girls in their bigger cage instead of leaving him alone in a small cage.

In the beginning of December I finally worked up the courage to do it. I was scared of getting him neutered but I felt it would improve his quality of life because he could be with my girls.

The procedure went beautifully, but the following days he declined in health. I took him to the vet twice, and during the second vet visit they discovered he had pneumonia and he passed later that day. It took me by surprise because earlier that week he was so healthy and active. And he did not cough or sneeze or any other obvious symptom of a URI. Even my vet was confused, and he had seen Oliver several times in December.

Shortly after, I got my girls checked: They tested positive for two bacteria and are on antibiotics. Surely the bacteria that affected my poor Oli.

Suffering the loss of Oliver and immediately finding out my other two girls were sick as well was so stressful for me. I've been crying several times a day. It was such a bad end to 2016. I've been so miserable.

Less than an hour after the new year's countdown, I was searching guinea pigs in my city (out of curiosity, I was not ready to adopt) and found Oliver's sibling had JUST been put up for adoption only a day before.

I didn't feel ready for a 3rd piggie, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to adopt him. It took a bit to hear from the rescue, but I just got approved to adopt him and they told me they would hold the piggy for me until my girls were better.

I'm in tears. I'm so sad I lost Oliver, I loved him so much and i'm always thinking about him, I haven't gone one day since he passed on December 21st without crying at least once, but i'm also ssoooo happy I'm going to take care of Oliver's sibling. I'm going to take such good care of him for Oliver. It's such a weird mix of emotions. I'm crying now as i'm typing this.

I really miss you Oliver. Mama loves and misses you so much.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you lost Oliver. It sounds like you had a very fast bond with him, and he was lucky to have had someone like you take the time and effort to find him and his sibling. Olivers' sibling will be just as lucky to have you to take care of him and I'm sure Oliver would be very happy about that. I sincerely hope that your girls recover soon, and that your herd can be complete with the new addition.

Rest in Peace, Oliver.

mjalred

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. I bet he's up in the sky munching on as much grass, jay mad carrots as he possibly can, peeing as he pleases.

pouty

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you lost Oliver. It sounds like you had a very fast bond with him, and he was lucky to have had someone like you take the time and effort to find him and his sibling. Olivers' sibling will be just as lucky to have you to take care of him and I'm sure Oliver would be very happy about that. I sincerely hope that your girls recover soon, and that your herd can be complete with the new addition.

Rest in Peace, Oliver.

Thank you so much for your words. They helped. My girls are squeaking again. I'm optimistic for a smooth and quick recovery, so I can bring Oliver's brother home and I can begin healing.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I bet he's up in the sky munching on as much grass, jay mad carrots as he possibly can, peeing as he pleases.

Thank you, I hope he's peeing a lot. He really loved lettuce, carrots, and cilantro.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.