Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Resizing C&C for two boars

Kelvin Casing

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

I'm building a C&C cage for my girlfriend's two guinea pigs (Rufus and Arlo) and I'm hoping to benefit from your expertise!

The pigs currently get limited floor time because we have two hungry Maine Coons prowling the premises and it's too cold for the pigs to be in their large outdoor run over the winter. Thus, the cage needs to be as big as possible! I can't abide the cruelty of small cages.

Here's my first attempt. It's triple level with a 2x6 base, two 2x2 lofts and a top kitchen layer of two 2x1 lofts. 24 square grids total:

Arlo and Rufus.jpg

The challenge is that this is obviously too small. There's still a lot of rumble strutting and dry humping going on, despite the two pigs being bonded brothers (from Rufus... it's always the feisty gingers :eek:). That said, they look miserable when separated.

I have a new shipment coming in that will let me turn the current cage into a 2x9, with an additional 2x2 loft on the second floor. Two of the three 2x2 lofts will also be directly combined into a 2x4 loft. 34 square grids total.

The question is, should I go for a 2x9, or attempt a redesign around a 3x6 format as I've read that boars benefits from greater width? The 3x format poses some structural challenges because my C&C supplier builds all their support bars around a 2x format. That said, a trip to the hardware store and a roll of Gorilla tape could probably create a 3x6 with a complete second floor in the same format (excepting a 2x1 space for a ramp, so it's the same 34 square grid space in total).

As the total floor space is the same, and a 3x format will necessitate a hefty amount of work and additional spending, do you guys think it's worth it for the well-being of the pigs? Does width make that much difference?

Thanks!

MelissaBN

Cavy Gazer
This looks amazing!1 We just built our first C&C cage for our two boys. Next we are building a loft. I need ramp ideas. What are your ramps made from?

Kelvin Casing

Cavy Slave
Folded corex, plus plastic binders down each side and some sandpaper or corrugated paper glued in the bottom for traction. You also need to make sure it is firmly secured at the top with x3 thick cable ties, ideally around a metal support bar.

Here's the current iteration:

20170119_114107.jpg

MelissaBN

Cavy Gazer
This is epic!! :) Are binder clips the little black clips with silver pinchers to open them?

Kelvin Casing

Cavy Slave
BTW, great looking cage, KC!

Cheers!

Ah, nuts, these guys are selling ramps with thin grain sandpaper on them: (broken link removed)

I shall retro fit them with your recommendation!

LucyPenny

Cavy Slave
It looks like a guinea pig palace! Out of curiosity, which parts do you open up for cleaning and taking the pigs out? Ours is a c&c 2x5 with an open top which I find very easy.

Kelvin Casing

Cavy Slave
All of the lids flip open for easy cleaning of the top boxes, the bottom section can be slid out by taking the bottom two panels off the left-hand side.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Well done!! It looks awesome, you must have put a lot of time and effort into creating such a lovely habitat :).

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Wow! :D I wish I had the room for THAT! My boys would absolutely adore it :) Nicely done.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It amuses me that you thought the cage in the first post was too small! Just the bottom is bigger than what most people use for a pair of guinea pigs!

Really nicely done. Lucky pigs!

Kelvin Casing

Cavy Slave
So....I had some grids and corex left over. It's now a bit bigger still! Actually the cage is about the same footprint in the room, but I've expanded the internal spaces.

I turned the top 2x1 boxes into 3 grid spaces, added 3 grids on the mid level and a 2x4 on the ground floor since the undercroft was too deep to be convenient for storage.

Definitely no more, but I'm happy the pigs have about 60 sqft to play in! And a huge piece of driftwood...just because!

20170126_211609.jpg20170126_211626.jpg20170126_211635.jpg20170126_211647.jpg

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How on earth do you ever catch them?

Kelvin Casing

Cavy Slave
Never mind catching them.........how do you even find them??

It's pretty easy to catch them given the lids... here's what it looks like open.

The boys also prefer the middle and top floors, so they don't really hide down bottom.

20170127_094145.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.