Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi the vet confused me

Hi I'm new to guinea pigs, I have a male who is about a year old, who I found at the park 2 months ago. After waiting to see if an owner would show up or post lost signs it was obvious he was ditched and I had a new pet. I have read everywhere that they need friends, when I brought this up to the vet I was told not to because they can transfer respiratory problems to each other and he will be better alone (and he has a clean bill of health from her). So I'm confused do I get him a friend or not. He doesn't do a lot, he did popcorn alot the first month and now he likes to run around really fast so I don't think he is sad but they live like 8 years so that seems a long time to be single.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    201 Rec'd/188 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    128 Post(s)

Re: Hi the vet confused me

Yeah, your vet is definitely confused or uneducated about guinea pigs. It's true that once you pick out a buddy for him you should wait a couple weeks before introducing them to make sure the new one doesn't have any sickness he could catch, so maybe your vet read that somewhere and misunderstood?

Try to find a new vet, definitely. An exotics vet who has experience with piggies is what you need There's a pretty good list of vets on GuineaLynx.com you can probably find by poking around on there, though it's pretty US-centric.

Welcome to piggy ownership and to the forum! I'm glad your little guy found a home with a caring owner. Until he gets a friend, make sure to give him lots of extra attention (which I'm sure you're doing already, haha).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,223 Rec'd/5,753 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3789 Post(s)

Ditto @jaycriae. That sounds like a small animal vet, and that means dogs and cats, not exotic pets. He's clueless about guinea pigs.

Your pig definitely needs a buddy, but get one of the same sex. Pregnancy and delivery are very hard on guinea pig sows, and the death rate is high for both moms and pups.

Here's some reading material for new guinea pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...nea-pig-owners
    https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...ur-guinea-pigs!

Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/17 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Good job rescuing the little guy!! He's so lucky to have you. I would definitely get him a friend. I gave my first piggie all the attention in the world and still felt like she needed a friend so I got a second one.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
    Thanks
    Thanks
    132 Rec'd/96 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)

It's an odd thing to say for sure. I mean, yes, if they are sick piggies can transfer all manner of illnesses to each other, but so can any animal interacting with any other animal of its own species.

Bubbles are not for piggies. Adopt your piggy a friend.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks everybody for all the help, I will definitely go get a second opinion. But since he grew up alone (i figure since he was found alone) do you think piggies like him will adjust to others? Sorry last question!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

Guinea pigs who grew up alone can definitely adjust to having friends. I recently adopted a three year old pig who to my knowledge, had always lived alone. He took to my other boy right away, and although he didn't really know how to act like a guinea pig for a while, he likes having a friend. Recently he's even started to rumblestrut and boss his roommate around a little, which he had never done before. It's been a lot of fun watching him learn the ropes.

User Tag List