Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Guinea Pigs and college

Ok, I'm officially an insomniac. I can't get to sleep because I'm thinking about my future and stuff. I'm not sure exactly what I want to do or how to get there. I don't know if I want to go to colleger or if I will get into one. Anyway, back to my question, how do my guinea pigs fit into this?

What do you plan on doing with your pigs when you go to college (for teens)? Most dorms don't allow pets, do you plan on having an apartment? Or are you going to keep them at home with your parents?

If you had guinea pigs while you were in college what did you do with them(for adults)? How did it work out?

There's no way I'm gonna get rid of my guinea pigs because of changes in my life, I made a commitment to them.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    206 Rec'd/165 Posts

Re: Guinea Pigs and college

I started out driving 45mins to class and back everyday and sometimes twice a day cause I had 1 day with classes 6hrs apart and it was such a waste to sit there for around 4hrs doing nothing. Now I live my boyfriend half way between my mom's house with my horse stable and the college.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

I think about this all the time too. I am not as close to collage as you but it is always on my mind. The collage I want to go to is about a half hour from my home so I could possibly keep them here. I also have considered renting an apartment but I don’t know where the money will come from for that. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I got my guinea pig when I first started college. At my university, guinea pigs are one of the approved pets that you can keep in your dorm room (which is why I originally got him). Since then, he's happily moved with me into several apartments. It's worked really well keeping Pippin with me. In fact, way back to my sophomore year in the dorms, Pippin inspired a guinea pig craze on my floor. About 3 other girls went and built C&C cages and adopted their own pigs.

You might visit college websites and see their pet policy. You'd be surprised how many actually allow pets.

Edit: Fitting the cage is an issue! I built a loft for me bed. Some universities allow them. It was like a top bunk without the bottom and Pippin's cage fit underneath. I can dig up pictures if you'd like.

Please confirm your email, check your spam folder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Maybe a letter of request as therapy animals???

Just a suggestion, though this might only work if you have some kind of illness/disability...

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aqh88
    I started out driving 45mins to class and back everyday and sometimes twice a day cause I had 1 day with classes 6hrs apart and it was such a waste to sit there for around 4hrs doing nothing.
    I am going to do the same thing, my boyfriend lives on the Cape same as me and he is going to get his mom's house when he is 18 hes 16 at the moment. I'm only 15, going on 16, but I don't think me and him are going anywhere so I am going to move in with him. I am going to go to a college in boston which is 1 hour to 1 hour and a half away, so I am going to commute there everyday. And my boyfriend knows I love my girls, and he loves them just as much, so he said he would be more than glad to watch them when I am away half the day.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I actually didn't get my first pig until the summer between my freshman and sophomore years, so I just got an apartment instead of living in the dorms. That's not a solution for everyone, but some universities do allow first years to live off campus. Now, I still move around a lot, but the piggers just move right along with me. Sometimes, I let my mom keep them for a while before taking them to a new place, so there's not a lot of noise and stuff to upset them. Of course, my mom's a closet pig-lover, so she doesn't mind.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Just to put in my mature adult (ha ha!) two cents here...
    I reccommend living on campus a year. It's a great experience if you're able to do it. My parents forced me and I met some great friends that way. Oddly enough, it also turned out to be a wonderful opportunity to educate others on guinea pig care. People often stopped by in the dorms and wanted to pet Pippin. Of course I insisted they get the whole speech on their proper care!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/19 Posts

I reccommend living on campus a year.
    I would definitly agree with this. The one thing that I regret about college was not living on campus. Granted I still had a blast but I really wish I had that experience.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I'm totally the opposite. I hated, hated, hated, living on campus. My roommate was awesome, but I had known her for a long time (that myth about living with your best friend and not being friends afterwards isn't always true). Every other girl on my floor? Jerks. I seriously met like one girl in the entire complex that I became lasting friends with. I did much better living off campus and going to social events on my own. That way I met people who actually shared my interests. However, not having a dark room to access all the time made me sad. It was seriously the only perk. Maybe if they would have allowed pigs there it would have been a happier time for me.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I also really hated living on campus. I actually left in March instead of finishing the year out.

That being said, I had a pet in my dorms. I had a newt, and snuck him in. I also had fish in the tank that he ate.

I kind of doubt that you can sneak in a guinea pig though. Some of the dorms on my campus allowed pets. Others did not (including mine).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

When I was an undergrad, I was able to live with my parents because my university was only 30 minutes away. So the pigs stayed there as well. Then I went to grad school in another state and packed up all the animals (and husband by this point ) and took them with me. I'm not the kind of person who could live on campus. I like things to be quiet, and I long for privacy, so I've never lived on campus. Even now, I refuse to live in apartments where the other college students are because I don't want to be around that typical young, party-going crowd. (And I'm only 23. I wonder what kind of stick-in-the-mud I'll be later in life ). So when we moved here, we bought a small house instead of ever having to worry about noisy neighbors, finding a place to stay that allows animals, etc. I know that's probably not a possible scenario for you, but I just wanted to share my pets-in-college experience.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    206 Rec'd/165 Posts

I'm totally the opposite. I hated, hated, hated, living on campus.
    Definitely agree. If I was required to live on campus I would have refused to go to college at all. In fact I hate just about everyone in the same program as me and the 1 person I made friends with moved back to germany. I don't have any friends that actually go to the same college as me and there's a few people that live in the dorms there I've actually threatened to kill if they don't leave me alone. Kind of like what I got told in highschool. If you take classes online and graduate highschool early you'll miss the "highschool experience". I sure wish I'd never experienced highschool and I was so glad to finish a semester early. There's not one person I graduted with that I'd like to see again. I wish they'd all drop off the face of the earth so I wouldn't even have to hear their names again.

To pay for everything I paint government owned housing. I make like $20 an hour and can do it whenever I want so long as I'm not making much noise late at night at the elderly housing. The old ladies kind of get freaked out and think someone is breaking into the apartments to steal stuff or attack them. The only problem is there's a limit to how many places there are that need painted. Hopefully eventually my horse stable will start making enough money but one of the top horse trainers told me only about 3% of the people who attempt it actually make enough money training horses that they don't have to do anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by aqh88
    you'll miss the "highschool experience
    I know what you mean. Personally, I think the whole "experience" thing about high school and college is over-rated. I didn't go for an experience. I went for an education.
    Last edited by Marlania; 11-13-05 at 09:00 pm. Reason: forgot something

Plonkerworld, the new happiest place on earth!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    22 Rec'd/15 Posts

Honestly, if I'm able to get into a really good college and it doesn't allow animals, I'll either sneak the pigs in( though now I have three! *Happy dance*), find an affordable apartment, or leave them home until I do. I know my mom would take care of them for me, after adopting Sam today I noticed it alot. However, I'll probably live at home for most of my college if I get into one near here. I do know that I'll do what I think is best for my pigs, not myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I would highly recommend living in the dorms. I wouldnt have the friends I have now if it wasnt for the dorms. I think the problem that redrocketpop had with the dorms was living with someone she knows. The whole idea of living in the dorms is to not know anyone. It is important to try try to live in that kind of situation and meet new people who arent like you. I found that I did very well (suprisingly). I'm was extremely shy and for years afraid of talking. I learned a lot from the situation. I dont know anyone now that would consider me shy. I owe that to the dorm life.
    Dont live your whole life never having a new group of friends. You will miss out on a lot of great experiences. I know too many people who have the same friends and have done the same thing since high school.
    (I got my first pig in the dorms, but had to sneak him in. No one ever found out.)

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    36 Rec'd/19 Posts

I would leave them with my parents. My parents have learnt from my knowledge how to care for guinea pigs. Of course they won't spend as much time with them as I do but they will get good care with my parents.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    I would highly recommend living in the dorms. I wouldnt have the friends I have now if it wasnt for the dorms. I think the problem that redrocketpop had with the dorms was living with someone she knows. The whole idea of living in the dorms is to not know anyone. It is important to try try to live in that kind of situation and meet new people who arent like you. I found that I did very well (suprisingly). I'm was extremely shy and for years afraid of talking. I learned a lot from the situation. I dont know anyone now that would consider me shy. I owe that to the dorm life.
    Dont live your whole life never having a new group of friends. You will miss out on a lot of great experiences. I know too many people who have the same friends and have done the same thing since high school.
    (I got my first pig in the dorms, but had to sneak him in. No one ever found out.)
    I agree. I came to college a shy person, but now I've opened up more than I imagined. When you put yourself in a situation you're uncomfortable in at first, you're bound to learn from the experience. At some point in your life you have to learn to get meet new people and accept them for their differences. Few jobs in life will afford anyone the luxury of being with only those people you hand select and enjoy.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I would also definately suggest living in the dorms for a time. I personally lived there for the first two years of college, as you are required to do here, and managed to live without pets, though it was tough. I know the dorms here only alow fish, and that might be the case where ever you go to school. I hope you can find something to do with your piggens, or are lucky enough to end up in a dorm that allows pets. You do meet amazing people in the dorms.
    Now, in my third year of school, i am in a house with 4 other girls. My landlord told us when we were looking at the house we could have small caged pets, but when i told him i'd be getting a guinea pig about 2 months ago, he suddenly decided we couldn't have any pets! I had to argue back and forth with him, and he finally said i could have my piggens as long as she didn't go on the carpet, i didn't wash her towels or anything in the house washer, etc. Sometimes you can get landlords to change their mind.
    Good luck with college and your piggens!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/2 Posts

Being a former resident assistant (RA) in a dorm, I have to comment on this!

First of all, I highly recommend staying in the dorms at least one semester (some colleges require all first-year out-of-town students to stay on campus, like mine). You meet so many different people, and even if you don't making any substantial friendships (I didn't my first year), you will at least have a new appreciation for differences and being yourself.

Second of all, if your dorm does not allow pets, please don't sneak them in. It creates so many problems. In the two different types of dorms I lived in (rows of rooms connected by a main hallway with one community bathroom my freshman year and two to three room suites my RA years), there would be no way one could keep that secret all year, with all the wheeking, hay scattered, furry laundry, piggie poo, etc. The RA's (at least at my college) made an effort to visit every room regularly, and we did room checks during holiday breaks. If we ever suspected someone was keeping a pet (and it happened), we had to go check it out. If there IS a pet, we gave them a few days to get rid of it. No exceptions. Period. Now think of what it would be like if that happened to you. Where could you send your piggies given a few day's time to decide? Also, you would get "written up", and have to meet with the hall director who then doles out some kind of punishment for breaking the rules. If you get written up too many times, you get kicked out. (On a side note, it just floors me that some colleges actually let people keep pets! My college would never do that, it's just weird to me!)

I didn't get guinea pigs until right after I graduated from college, and I was living in an apartment. I don't think I would have had the time to take care of guinea pigs while still in college.

User Tag List