Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Confused about pellets

So I've definitely been doing a lot of research. I've just got a few questions to make sure I understand everything I'm reading. I appreciate all input, advice and opinions.

As I understand guinea pigs don't digest or utilize simple sugars well, yet every pellet I've read the ingredients list on lists some form of sugar. Even the "better brands ie oxbow and small pet select.Usually within the first 5 ingredients. I did find 1 brand (sherwood pet health) that doesn't use any grains or sugars and I'm leaning towards it. It's really not to expensive and I can get free shipping.

Did I misunderstand? Are sugar and corn ok for piggies or is it bad for them? Help please!

Also I have read through several nutrition threads here and on other sites I'd appreciate links to a really good "do and don't " type list if anyone knows of one.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,246 Rec'd/5,771 Posts
    Mentioned
    2030 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3813 Post(s)

Re: Confused about pellets

I think most pellets have something like molasses to help hold them together. KMS Hayloft pellets have less than Oxbow.

The page for the Sherwood pellets is not available, so I can't see the nutritional analysis. I'd be concerned about the amount of calcium in them -- too much calcium is a MUCH more prevalent and dangerous problem than too much sugar.

It's not so much that guinea pigs can't digest sugar. It's that larger quantities of sugar can upset the balance of bacteria in the gut and cause major digestive upsets. But the amount of sugar they get in pellets is negligible.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner MrCavyMadness's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

KMS Hayloft is the way to go. I've been feeding them for years and they still go crazy for them

4. "Thank you, MrCavyMadness, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

http://store.sherwoodpethealth.com/a...ig-food/#label
    Hopefully that link works.

Thanks for the clarification on the molasses. That's actually what I was most worried about. Well that and corn. Lots of the pellets have corn.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,246 Rec'd/5,771 Posts
    Mentioned
    2030 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3813 Post(s)

Thanks for the working link.

Those pellets have a minimum of 1% calcium, which is EXTREMELY high. I wouldn't feed those to my pigs under any circumstances. I aim at about .4% calcium at the maximum.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrCavyMadness View Post
    KMS Hayloft is the way to go. I've been feeding them for years and they still go crazy for them
    I checked out the kms website. The prices seem reasonable to me but oh Lord shipping is high for my area! I am brand new to guinea pig care so I still don't know how much of anything they are going to need/use. I also don't know what reasonable price really is.

Could you possibly give me a best guess on how much hay and pellets for 2 young boys? I would like to place 1 big order for say 6 months (if the hay and pellets will stay good) just to save a few bucks on shipping. Also if the feed is going to expire or not be good for that long?

I didn't have the usual few weeks to few months of research and I'm kind of trying to learn everything on the fly!

I truly appreciate the help and will not be at all offended if you (or anyone else) says I'm asking to many dumb questions!

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

I have two boys as well. I buy the 25lb Timothy choice pellets and the 45 lbs of hay. I have to do this once about every 6-7 months. Shipping is high, but it lasts a long time and is totally worth it.

9. "Thank you, MrCavyMadness, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Thanks for the working link.

Those pellets have a minimum of 1% calcium, which is EXTREMELY high. I wouldn't feed those to my pigs under any circumstances. I aim at about .4% calcium at the maximum.
    Thanks! I actually missed the decimal point! I thought it was supposed to be less than 4% not 0.4%. Or actually I thought it was 3% but I'm still trying to digest all the information. That is a HUGE difference.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,246 Rec'd/5,771 Posts
    Mentioned
    2030 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3813 Post(s)

Actually, the cost of KMS pellets is about the same as Oxbow. Where I live, the price varies within about 10 cents a pound, sometimes in favor of one, sometimes the other.

I order 25 pounds of KMS pellets at a time, for three pigs, and that will last 7-8 months. Just keep them cool and dry. Hay will last a couple of years if kept dry.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2016-12-27-19-40-55.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	81178

This is my order. It should last me at least 6 months correct?

I'm going to store the hay in a big cardboard box in the attic or spare closet neither one has air conditioning . The closest stays cooler though. The pellets I'll probably store in a plastic bin with a lid in the kitchen.(central air) The nutrients shouldn't degrade right?

I really am sorry for the million questions. I am just very nervous about messing something up.After this I promise no more questions! (I think )

Thanks for all the help.
    Last edited by Conjomen; 12-27-16 at 07:53 pm. Reason: Clarification/reworded

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

Yep, 6 months I'd say for sure

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,246 Rec'd/5,771 Posts
    Mentioned
    2030 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3813 Post(s)

The pellets should definitely last that long. Whether the hay does depends on whether you put it down in piles for them to run through (and pee and poop on) or keep it in a hayrack, and also on whether they like the different kinds of hay. Mine won't touch bluegrass, and I haven't tried them on any other than timothy.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have a little box I'm putting the hay in for now. They still climb in it and "do thier business" so I'm wasting quite a bit changing the hay out twice a day but it's ok for now I really want to use up or get rid of the cheap hay i got from Walmart. I might end up spreading it around the cage for them to burrow in when my KMS order comes in. Just from the pictures on the site the hay is much better than the one I have now. My boys will enjoy playing with it at least when the better stuff comes in......

I'm also hoping they like the bluegrass hay, but if not my nephew has a bunny he feeds bluegrass to so bunnylove will get it. My sister and I will be combining our orders from KMS from now on so we'll split the cost of shipping. Only reason we didn't do it for this order is because she just got a bunch of hay from amazon.

Little side note, after talking to my sister about the cost of hay and pellets local and online it turns out that even with shipping being so high KMS is about the same as what she's paying on amazon or even in the stores for hay and bunny pellets. And from the looks of it the quality is much much better. It was really a great suggestion.

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

I'm glad we could help! Best of luck to you and your babies!

User Tag List